Deans denied upset... Moneys go top... Rams win thriller

Gary Austin, left.  Picture: Ian Hargreaves
Gary Austin, left. Picture: Ian Hargreaves
Have your say

Underdogs Horndean gave AFC Bournemouth a real scare in the Hampshire Senior Cup before exiting the competition at the quarter-final stage last night.

Gary Austin fired the hosts into a shock half-time lead at Five Heads Park, capitalising on a defensive error to put Dave Carter’s side ahead.

But the Cherries’ development side, which also featured first-team players Myles Addison, Mohamed Coulibaly and Harry Cornick turned the tie on its head in the second half.

Highly-rated Cornick fired a double for the visitors before laying on a late third goal for substitute Josh O’Hanlon’s to seal their progress.

Deans boss Carter was proud of his players’ efforts.

He said: ‘Bournemouth are professionals.

‘Some of our boys have been out laying concrete blocks all day, while they have been down the training ground working on throw-ins and free-kicks.

‘I’m proud of the boys – they worked hard and kept good shape.’

Elsewhere, Moneyfields returned to the top of the Wessex League premier division thanks to Alfie Rutherford’s deflected strike at Folland Sports.

The visitors were boosted by the inclusion of new signing Vincent Pericard, with the former Pompey striker playing an hour of football before leaving the field with a tight hamstring.

It is hoped the Frenchman will be able to shake off the knock to continue deputising for suspended top scorer Steve Hutchings.

George Way and Dean Arnold both gained valuable minutes on their return from injury as Moneys opened up a two-point gap at the summit.

Second-placed Petersfield were in Wessex League Cup action last night and enjoyed a dramatic passage into the semi-finals.

They battled back twice to force extra-time against Winchester City at Love Lane as the two sides played out a repeat of the epic 2-2 league draw at the same venue on Saturday.

And with neither side able to break the deadlock in added time, it was Ian Saunders’ men who held their nerve in a penalty shootout to book their place in the last four.