Defeat sends Hayling down

George Gregory's goal proved decisive
George Gregory's goal proved decisive
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Two goals in the final 15 minutes condemned Hayling United to relegation from the Wessex League premier division as they lost their local derby against Moneyfields 2-0.

In a tight game of few chances, it was the Copnor club who proved stronger in the later stages – although the home side contributed to their own downfall.

On 75 minutes, Aiden Smallbones diverted a Connor Bailey cross into his own net.

And seven minutes later, home goalkeeper Steve May saw his clearance charged down by George Gregory to concede a killer second goal.

Moneys boss Miles Rutherford was pleased with his relatively-inexperienced side’s performance but was nevertheless sympathetic to Hayling’s plight.

‘It is a shame to see a local club go down but they are probably better equipped to play in the first division,’ said Rutherford.

‘The pleasing thing from our point of view was the fact we had four lads at the back all under 20 years of age.

‘They were excellent – as was the experienced figure of Luke Middleton in midfield.

‘It was a very poor game, though, played on a very poor pitch on a very hot afternoon.

‘We are seventh now with two games to play so I can’t be too disappointed with our efforts this season.

‘At times we have blown hot and cold and some of the more senior players have let themselves down.’

Fareham Town’s hectic schedule finally caught up with them as they suffered a 5-1 hammering at Hamble ASSC.

In division one, already-promoted Horndean added to their end-of-season joy with a 4-1 victory against rivals Petersfield.

Dave Carter’s side never looked back after Tom Chapman met a George Way corner to open the scoring with 15 minutes on the clock.

Nathan Paxton showed fine finishing to double the score minutes later from close range, before Petersfield pulled a goal back before half-time through Sam Maidens after a quality move.

Better finishing by Petersfield’s Luke Bishop could have brought his side back in the match.

But once Alex Miroy created an opening for Torr Spicer to chip in a third in the midday sunshine – the 100th league goal of Horndean’s season so far – any thoughts the hosts had of salvaging anything for their efforts were put to rest.

Miroy then added his second of the day with perhaps the best goal of the afternoon to put the seal on Horndean’s victory.

Bognor are just one win from landing the Ryman one south title thanks to record-breaker Jason Prior.

The former Moneyfields hitman scored a hat-trick for the third game in a row to see off Worthing 3-1 and retain the Rocks’ two-point lead at the top of the table.

Their hopes now hinge on Saturday’s final game at Chatham.

A win gives them the championship and promotion – anything less and Met Police can overtake them and condemn them to the play-offs.

After a nervy first half, Prior twice finished off moves involving Matt Whitehead and Luke Nightingale in the first five minutes of the second period.

He completed his hat-trick of hat-tricks seven minutes from time, before the Rebels got a late consolation through Dan White.