‘Exceptional’ Rutherford powers Moneys back to the top

Alfie Rutherford. Picture: Neil Marshall
Alfie Rutherford. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Alfie Rutherford grabbed a hat-trick as Moneyfields stormed back to the top of the Wessex League premier division with a 6-1 win at Bemerton Heath Harlequins.

The 16-year-old striker took his tally to 25 goals for the season as the Copnor club demolished their 10-man hosts.

‘Alfie is doing exceptionally well for a youngster in his first season in the Wessex League,’ said manager – and father – Miles Rutherford.

‘I still don’t think he is playing as well as he was at the beginning of the season when he was exceptional in the opening 10 games.

‘We are happy to have him learning and enjoying his football with us.

‘There will come a time when he will be ready to move to a higher level and when that comes we will encourage it.

‘At the moment he is better off playing regular football with us rather than sitting on the bench with a team at the higher level.’

Alfie Rutherford capitalised on two defensive errors in the first half before Bemerton pulled a goal back on 35 minutes.

After the hosts were reduced to 10 men early in the second half, it became a formality for Moneyfields.

Steve Hutchings notched a penalty, Alfie Rutherford completed his hat-trick and substitute Declan Seiden scored at the death.

Relegation-battling Fareham Town scrapped to a valuable point in a 2-2 draw at Whitchurch United.

Goals from Ash Tattersall and Mark Cotton gave the Reds a 2-1 lead early in the second half before the hosts pegged them back in the latter stages.

‘It is a small but very important step for us,’ said Reds boss Matt Parr.

‘We can take a lot of encouragement from our performance.’

Title-chasing Petersfield Town produced a defensive masterclass to force a 0-0 draw at Blackfield & Langley.

Horndean crashed to a surprise 3-0 defeat at Bournemouth Poppies.

‘We were rubbish,’ blasted manager Dave Carter.

‘We weren’t good enough and paid the price for errors.’

AFC Portchester had their game against Totton & Eling postponed because of a waterlogged Wicor Rec pitch.