Familiar tale for Borough on trip to Bedford

Adam Wilde went close for Borough in the second half
Adam Wilde went close for Borough in the second half
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

The story of Gosport’s visit to Bedford was a sadly familiar one.

Despite creating lots of chances, they slipped to a frustrating 1-0 defeat in the Southern League premier division.

On a chilly afternoon at the Eyrie Stadium, Gosport made a bright start.

Sammy Igoe whipped in a quality cross from a free-kick that Jamie Brown narrowly failed to connect with.

Then it was the turn of Dan Woodward to go close as his outstretched foot was enough to steer the ball past goalkeeper Brown but not the post.

Bedford grew into the game but Gosport’s defence, bolstered by loan-signing Sam Pearce from the Hawks, looked relatively untroubled.

On the half hour mark, though – despite their bright start – Borough were undone by a defensive lapse.

Lee Molyneaux was caught out on the left, allowing Peacock the space he needed to set up Jermaine Ivy, who steered the ball past Ashmore.

Gosport’s response was typically hard-working, and they had three good chances to level before the break.

Justin Bennett saw one shot on the turn fly just over the bar and another tipped over by Bedford keeper Ian Brown.

Adam Wilde also saw a quality curling free-kick saved by the keeper as Borough pressed for an equaliser.

However, they went back into the dressing room at the interval a goal down.

The second half saw Gosport again start brightly.

But soon the game became a repeat of the first half, with the visitors creating but not able to take their chances.

Pearce rifled a free-kick towards the bottom corner, but his effort shaved the post and went wide.

Danny Smith also saw a header saved, as did Bennett.

With manager Alex Pike back at home due to illness, his assistant Mick Catlin made a change – bringing on Steffan Gaisie and taking off Woodward.

And following that, Gaisie had an opportunity of his own to score as he suddenly got in behind the Bedford defence.

But with the angle tight, he had no choice but to pass the ball across goal.

However, there were no yellow shirts present to make the most of it.

To their credit, Bedford were not idle, and Ashley Fuller gave Borough another late fright with a rising shot that crashed off the underside of the bar and out.

Gosport: Ashmore, Stowe, Poate, Woodward, Molyneaux, Pearce, Igoe, Smith, Brown, Bennett, Wilde. Subs: Cook, Martin, Gaisie, May.

Referee: G Sprague (Cambridge)