Fareham come to the ‘four’ against Humbugs

Graham Lindsey opened the scoring for Fareham in their Wessex League premier division derby against Hayling United
Graham Lindsey opened the scoring for Fareham in their Wessex League premier division derby against Hayling United
Blu Boam in action against Bashley. Picture: Keith Woodland

No blues for Boam on Baffins return

Have your say

Fareham Town overcame local Wessex League premier division rivals Hayling United 4-2 to claim the bragging rights at Cams Alders this afternoon.

It was a breathless start to the game.

Chances were created at either end as both defences looked a little rusty having not played a game for over a month.

Three times in the opening exchanges the home side were convinced they should have had a penalty – but on each occasion the referee waved away the appeals.

On 16 minutes, Hayling wasted a great chance to grab the lead when Alex Easton beat the offside trap.

However, the striker shot tamely wide.

And within 60 seconds he was made to pay the price as the home side found themselves in front.

Good work down the left created a chance for Tom Winzar, and when his shot was deflected to Graham Lindsey, the striker had little trouble tucking away the loose ball.

Fareham then doubled their lead in the 35th minute when Louie Martin took advantage of some hestitant Hayling defending to poke home McKie’s cross.

Hayling did threaten to pull a goal back in the later stages of the first half as Steve Black, Lee Tigwell and Easton all went close.

But any hopes of a revival disappeared as the Humbugs conceded two soft goals at the start of the second period.

On 50 minutes, McKie was given time and space down the left to cross for Doug Rowe to tap in.

And five minutes later, Matt Burt outjumped the defence to head home Fareham’s fourth from a corner.

Mike Turvey reduced the arrears with a thunderous shot via the underside of the crossbar on 70 minutes.

And Chad Jackson set up an interesting finish by making it 4-2 with four minutes to go.

But, ultimately, it was too little too late for the visitors as they were left to rue those missed chances in the first half.

Elsewhere in the premier division, Portchester triumphed 2-1 against strugglers Alton, while Moneyfields slumped to a disappointing 2-0 defeat Newport IOW.

Horndean’s game at top-of-the-table Downton was cancelled due to a waterlogged pitch.