Fareham hit four to crush Totton & Eling

Dan Hayes hit two goals
Dan Hayes hit two goals
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

FAREHAM avenged their recent cup defeat at Totton & Eling with an emphatic 4-1 success in the Wessex League clash at Cams Alders last night.

Dan Hayes and Graham Lindsey each struck twice after former Southampton player Jo Tessem had given Totton an early lead.

And, after a few choice words were said at the break, Fareham boss Matt Parr felt the final score could have been even more convincing.

He said: ‘I had to ruck the players at half-time for their lack of effort but they put things right in the second half and ran out easy winners.

‘In fact we could have had seven.’

Parr handed a debut to keeper Tony Harrop, a recent signing from Hayling United.

But, it was the visitors, after beating their hosts a fortnight ago in the Russell-Cotes Cup, who got off to a flying start.

Tessem, aged 39, took just five minutes to make his mark, slicing through the Fareham defence before netting with a deflected effort.

On 15 minutes, Tessem was denied a second by Harrop, who superbly turned his fine header over the bar.

Fareham then began to turn the screw in search of an equaliser and Wayne Boud was only denied by a marginal offside decision.

On 25 minutes the pressure told, as Mark Cotton’s effort fell to Dan Hayes who bulged the net from six yards.

Gavin Spurway then shot wildly over on the stroke of half-time but there was still time for Danny Thompson to set up Hayes who lifted the ball into the net for 2-1.

Early in the second half, Cotton went close and Hayes was inches away from his hat-trick with a sizzling shot, just too high.

Fareham made it 3-1 on 67 minutes. Substitute Nathan Kirby sent Thompson clear on the flank and his precision cross found goal-machine Graham Lindsey, who finished calmly.

With 10 minutes remaining Totton realised it wasn’t to be their evening as Ben Harrison sent a header against the post and behind.

Seconds later, Fareham made it four. Harrop’s route-one clearance teed up Lindsey to finish well from the edge of the penalty area.