Fareham players win praise for Christchurch comeback

Fareham striker Graham Lindsey, centre, got the winner
Fareham striker Graham Lindsey, centre, got the winner
Dan Wooden. Picture: Neil Marshall (170104-04)

Carter: Positive signs for Moneys

Have your say

Shaun Coles praised his players after Fareham Town came from behind to win 2-1 at second-placed Christchurch.

The stand-in boss has another week in charge until regular boss Matt Parr returns from Australia.

He was delighted with the performance from his men.

‘I can’t praise my players enough,’ said Coles.

‘They played some fantastic football to get a win which puts us within touching distance of the top six.

‘We haven’t played for a few weeks but the break seems to have rejuvenated everyone and we looked very positive from the start.’

The Reds carved out several chances in the first 45 minutes but couldn’t make them count.

Striker Dougie Rowe was outstanding, giving the home defenders a torrid time.

The midfield trio of Matt Burt, Liam Hibberd and Danny Thompson were in command.

But it was the home side who broke the deadlock five minutes before the break.

A free-kick was floated into the area and went straight in, off the far post.

Fareham didn’t let their heads drop and created chances to level before the break.

They could not take them but were soon back on level terms after half-time.

On 65 minutes, Burt headed home a Thompson corner to level it up.

The Reds then grabbed their winning goal from the penalty spot 15 minutes from time.

Bryn McKie, who had caused the home defence problems all game, cut inside from the left, beating three defenders, before being hauled down inside the area.

Graham Lindsey kept his composure to confidently tuck his penalty past the goalkeeper.

When Christchurch looked to hit back, the Reds defence, led by skipper Matt Jones, was solid.

‘I have enjoyed being in charge in Matt’s absence and a lot of that is down to the players,’ added Coles.

Moneyfields, Horndean and Hayling United all suffered frustration as their matches were called off because of waterlogged pitches.