First-half horror show sees Moneys crash

Dan Sackman was out-muscled for Christchurch's second goal
Dan Sackman was out-muscled for Christchurch's second goal
Fareham will be up for taking on Horndean. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Fareham to shine against Deans.. Baffins keep looking up

Have your say

Injury-hit Moneyfields had an afternoon to forget as a woeful first-half performance saw them slump to a 3-0 defeat against Christchurch.

Shorn of their regular attacking partnership of Steve Hutchings and Warren Hunt through suspension and illness respectively, Miles Rutherford’s side failed to muster a single shot on target during the entire 90 minutes.

With Russell Rackley and Dan Gauntlett joining Hutchings and Hunt on the sidelines, it was a much-changed line-up from the side that imploded in the last five minutes against Alresford.

In came Jake Raine and new signing from Portchester Jay Ripiner, with veteran campaigner Graeme Gee on the bench.

It was débutant Ripiner who had the first chance of the game, firing narrowly over the angle of crossbar and post in the second minute.

Christchurch, whose games in hand make them short-odds favourites for third spot, took a ninth-minute lead with their first attack. Russell Cook managed to evade two challenges on the right wing and when his cross fell to Ben Osborne, the striker’s flick crept inside the far post for his 13th of the season.

There was no let-up from the visitors and it took a sharp save to deny Osborne after he had wriggled free of his marker.

In the closing stages of the first period, the New Forest side grabbed the initiative with two goals in as many minutes.

First, Cornick capped a fine first-half display by out-muscling Dan Sackman and racing clear to roll the ball into the net.

And the home side had barely had time to recover when Jack Lee tripped Osborne just inside the box and striker smashed home the spot-kick to complete a miserable first half for the Copnor club.

The quick-fire goals took any hope of a contest out the the game. Moneys carried more threat going forward after the break but looked a lightweight in the final third of the pitch.

As the game petered out, the whole afternoon was summed up by Lacey’s wild attempt at a through ball that ended up nearer his own keeper than Frampton in the visiting goal.

Meanwhile, two second-half goals from Matt Andrews steered Horndean to a 2-0 derby win over AFC Portchester at Five Heads Park.

The opening 45 minutes proved an entertaining end-to-end tussle but the Deans took control after the interval thanks to Andrews.

A heavily-depleted Fareham Town team suffered a 3-0 defeat at Newport IoW in a match to forget, while Hayling edged Bemerton 3-2 at the College Ground.