Game called off as lights go out at Privett Park

Dan Wooden opened the scoring in Gosport's abandoned game against Basingstoke
Dan Wooden opened the scoring in Gosport's abandoned game against Basingstoke

Carter: Moneys won’t surrender in play-off bid

Have your say

The lights temporarily went out on Gosport Borough’s attempt to climb out of the Skrill South relegation zone after their clash with Basingstoke Town was abandoned after a 49th-minute floodlight failure.

Alex Pike’s men were leading 1-0 thanks to a first-half Dan Wooden header when the lights on the Harry Mizen stand went out.

After a 30-minute delay and a frantic attempt to restart the lights by an electrician, the referee was given little choice but to abandon the game with 40 minutes remaining on the clock.

The afternoon capped a miserable end to the year for Borough, who crashed to defeat against the Hawks on Boxing Day and suffered damaged to their clubhouse roof in the storms that hit the south coast before Christmas.

The Hawks threw away a two- goal lead as Farnborough pegged them back to secure a thrilling 2-2 Skrill South draw at Paddy Power Park.

Goals from Dennis Oli and Sahr Kabba shortly before the break put the Hawks in charge.

In the end, though, it was the visitors who were left hanging on as Farnborough hit back in the second half to snatch a dramatic draw.

Nathan Lynch hit a debut hat-trick as AFC Portchester thrashed Totton & Eling 7-0 at Wicor Rec.

A Jamie Musselwhite second-half double and further strikes from Gary Moody and Jack Salter-Vaile completed the Wessex League premier rout.

Bognor cruised to a 3-1 victory at nine-man Carshalton Athletic in the Ryman League premier.

Ben Godfrey, Scott Chamberlain and a Harold Odametey own goal sealed the points for Jamie Howell’s side.

Athletic hit back through captain Lewis Taylor’s penalty, but it was too little, too late.

The hosts were their own worst enemy as Adriano Moraes was sent off mid-way through the first half.

And Niall McManus compounded a miserable day with a second booking in injury-time.