Gosport and Hawks face Trophy replays

Gosport Borough striker Justin Bennett
Gosport Borough striker Justin Bennett
Brett Poate

Defenders provide a big boost for Moneyfields

Have your say

Gosport Borough earned an FA Trophy replay after holding Skrill Premier side Nuneaton Town to a 0-0 draw.

Borough will feel they could and probably should have progressed on the balance of play as the higher-tier visitors were indebted to a superb goalkeeping performance from Kelle Roos.

Justin Bennett, Sam Pearce and Rory Williams were all expertly denied by the Nuneaton stopper.

The two sides will now contest a replay on Tuesday night.

The Hawks suffered stoppage-time heartbreak as Whitehawk pegged them back for a 1-1 draw in their second-round FA Trophy tie.

The visitors looked on course to book a place in the next round after Ed Harris gave them a 67th-minute lead.

But with time running out, Sami El-Abd collected a free-kick inside the area and finished well past Scott Bevan.

The two sides will replay the tie on Monday night at Westleigh Park.

In the Wessex League premier division, Jamie Musselwhite’s superb goal ensured AFC Portchester grabbed a 1-1 draw at promotio-rivals Newport IOW.

The hosts led midway through the first half when captain Darren Powell kept his composure to slot home from 18 yards.

But his cultured finish was overshadowed by Musselwhite’s memorable strike.

The Royals frontman controlled the ball on his chest, and in one movement swiveled and volleyed a shot from long range into the top corner to level matters at the start of the second half.

Also in the premier division, Fareham staged the comeback of the season as they turned around a 4-1 half-time deficit to beat Totton & Eling 5-4 at Cams Alders.

Dougie Rowe netted a double for the visitors, and further goals from Byron Gharibian and Dean Faithful looked to have put the game beyond Fareham, who had earlier equalised through Kieran Lewis.

But a Sam Knight goal and second-half John Wilson hat-trick completed a remarkable turnaround.

Bognor slipped to a second Ryman Premier League defeat in succession after they were well beaten by Wealdstone at Nyewood Lane.

Former Pompey midfielder Glen Little was on the scoresheet for the visitors who ran out deserved 3-1 winners.

Indeed, Wealdstone led 3-0 as Tom Pett and Jonny Wright were also on target before Terry Dodd netted a late consolation for the Rocks.