Gosport Borough beaten in FA Cup – reaction and pictures

Gosport Borough's Connor Hoare tries to keep Ramsgate at bay. Picture: Neil Marshall
Gosport Borough's Connor Hoare tries to keep Ramsgate at bay. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Gosport Borough exited the Emirates FA Cup in disappointing fashion losing 3-2 against Bostik League side Ramsgate 3-2 at Privett Park.

To see the full picture gallery click on the link at the top of the story or on the icon on the main image.

Player boss Craig McAllister admitted it was a massive opportunity thrown away.

He said: ‘It was a home tie against a team playing a level below us.

‘We let ourselves down massively and didn't perform.

‘In the FA Cup you can't afford to underestimate anyone and have to go into it with the right attitude.

‘You need to turn up, roll up your sleeves and do the business.

‘That we didn't do.

‘We didn't get tight enough, failed to get in their faces and didn't make tackles.

‘That's not something you can coach, players have to want to do it.

‘On the day we just weren't at the races.'

The home side started poorly allowing Ramsgate to get onto the front foot.

After gifting the visitors an opening goal Borough hit back to level through a well-taken Pat Suraci strike.

McAllister felt his team then had the chance to grab control.

He added: ‘For five or 10 minutes it looked like that would kick-start the game for us.

‘But then we gave away another poor goal just before half-time.'

A great strike from a free-kick put Borough further behind after the break.

McAllister reduced the arrears with a goal from a set-piece but the home side couldn't find an equaliser.

The player boss added: ‘We huffed and puffed in the second half and gave it a real go in the final 10 minutes.

‘It was more panic stations though smashing balls forward.

‘In the end though we didn't deserve anything.

‘It hurts us massively.'

Bognor face an awkward replay at AFC Sudbury tomorrow night after being held to a 1-1 draw at Nyewood Lane.

The home side made a dream start with the opening goal in the third minute after a Sudbury player headed the ball straight to Jimmy Muitt on halfway.

Muitt surged forward and released the unmarked Harvey Whyte who took a touch before side footing in.

Sudbury levelled on 11 minutes when Callum Harrison nodded in a loose ball after keeper Dan Lincoln failed in two attempts to gather a high cross into the six-yard box.