Gosport impress to seal semi-final spot

Tim Sills, centre, scored Gosport's second goal Picture: Mick Young
Tim Sills, centre, scored Gosport's second goal Picture: Mick Young
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Alex Pike praised the all-round effort of his side as Gosport Borough booked their place in the Hampshire Senior Cup semi-finals.

A 2-0 victory over AFC Bournemouth saw the Privett Park outfit join the Hawks, AFC Portchester and Basingstoke in the last four of the county competition.

First-half goals from Jack Barton and Tim Sills did the damage against a young Cherries side.

But it was the entire team who earned Pike’s plaudits, following a convincing win in terrible conditions.

‘We are delighted to reach the semi-finals. The lads did very well and both the goals were down to fine movement – really good team play from the back to the front,’ said Pike.

‘Defensively, we did very well and I think in the entire 90 minutes our goalkeeper had two shots to save, which really proves the point.

‘Who we meet in the semi-finals doesn’t really matter as we’re determined to do what we can to get ourselves into the final.’

It was the visitors who put together a couple of fine moves early on in the contest. But their efforts were matched by a solid reaction from Borough’s defence, with Brett Poate impressing.

On 10 minutes, and after dealing with what the Cherries had created, the home side broke quickly, with Mike Gosney going clear.

He then looked to have opened the scoring, only for Bournemouth keeper Jordan Holmes to turn the ball behind for a corner.

As play resumed, Borough took the lead when Barton took Poate’s defence-splitting pass in his stride to beat Holmes at his near post.

Poate, again, got himself forward and his pass once more found Barton, who this time fired a shot inches over the crossbar.

With Borough now looking the better of the two sides, a superb cross from Gosney was headed over from six yards by Sills.

But the striker immediately made up for the miss when he met Dan Woodward’s cross to head Borough into a 2-0 lead at the break.

After the restart, Woodward went close to a third goal as Borough continued to press.

The sparse Privett Park crowd included former Pompey striker Paul Walsh, who made the trip to watch his son Nathan play in a Bournemouth side struggling to make an impact.

On the hour mark, Pike’s side made a triple substitution when Sills, Andy Forbes and Gosney made way for Justin Bennett, Rory Williams and Adam Wilde.

Wilde featured immediately with a pacy run and cross that was inches away from being converted by Williams.

A neat pass from Woodward put Bennett in the clear to fire a shot over the head of Holmes as the keeper raced out.

However, Josh Kaye got back in time to clear the ball off the line.

With full-time approaching, the visitors finally managed to open up the Borough rearguard.

But alert keeper Gareth Barfoot saved superbly at his near post from substitute Kieran Roberts as the game remained 2-0.