Grafting Hawks delight Bradbury with win

James Hayter, right. Picture: Mick Young
James Hayter, right. Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

Lee Bradbury hailed the Hawks’ work ethic as they moved further away from the relegation zone with a 1-0 win over Hayes & Yeading at Westleigh Park last night.

James Hayter was the hero for the second successive game, with his strike clinching the points.

The Hawks are now four points clear of third-bottom Weston-super-Mare.

Boss Bradbury said: ‘It was another solid win and the most pleasing thing again was a clean sheet.

‘All the lads worked hard and that is what it takes. We have done that more consistently recently and that is why we have picked up.

‘All the players worked for each other and that was reflected in our goal.

‘Matt Paterson had no right to get on the end of the ball but he did, sucked a couple of players in and unselfishly laid it across for James to score.

‘It was a good team performance and it had to be because Hayes came here to win the game.

‘Both teams went for it and it was a good match.

‘It is in our hands now and with the pitches getting better every week that should suit us.

‘I have always said we need to win our home games and we are doing that.

‘We are in a confident mood and must look to keep that going.’

The Hawks named an unchanged starting line-up after their 2-0 win over Dartford last weekend. And Matt Paterson once again linked up well with newcomer George Barker in a lively start from the home side.

Scott Donnelly had a great chance to put the Hawks ahead on six minutes but sliced his hot wide of the post with only the keeper to beat.

Hayes & Yeading responded with an awkward up-and-under which keeper Ryan Young pushed over the bar.

Josh Hill the sent a free header past the far post as the opening goal continued to elude the Hawks.

They had a let-off after 26 minutes when Elliot Benyon crashed a terrific shot against the crossbar with Young beaten all ends up.

And Hayes continued to grow into the game, looking a threat with their quick forwards before half-time.

Theo Lewis replaced the injured Brian Stock in the Hawks midfield at the start of the second half.

And while both teams created openings after the restart, neither managed to capitalise on them.

At one end the ball was hooked away from in front of the Hayes goal and at the other Young made an important block on the edge of his area.

It was the Hawks who finally made the breakthrough in the 58th minute, though, when Hayter netted his third goal in two games.

Paterson took advantage of hesitancy in the visitors’ defence and squared the ball to Hayter to slide home.

On 64 minutes, the home side sent James Haran on for Donnelly – in a bid to protect their advantage.

Ben Swallow was unlucky when his curling a free-kick hit the crossbar.

And there was still time for substitute Shamir Mullings to kill Hayes off but he shot wide when well placed.

Hawks: Young, Strugnell, Medway, Stock, Robinson, Hill, Swallow, Donnelly, Paterson, Hayter, Barker. Subs: Mullings, Lewis, Haran, Mitchell, Ciardini