Hawks and Borough lose on the road.... trio win in Cup

Justin Bennett missed from the spot - as did Jamie White - in Gosport Borough's 1-0 defeat at Sutton United
Justin Bennett missed from the spot - as did Jamie White - in Gosport Borough's 1-0 defeat at Sutton United
Have your say

An early goal condemned the Hawks to a 1-0 defeat on Maidstone United’s 3G pitch in the Vanarama National League South.

Adam Birchall’s sixth-minute effort left the Hawks still looking for a first win on their travels this season.

The visitors had a let-off in the first five minutes, when a totally-unmarked Jay May headed wide from six yards out.

Within a minute, though, the home side went ahead.

Full-back Callum Driver tricked his way past two defenders and his low cross was knocked in by Birchall from close range.

Matt Paterson missed a glorious chance to level the score when put clear, lobbing his shot over the keeper, but it dropped just wide of the target.

The precise, accurate passing game of the home side was working well for them on the 3G surface, as Maidstone maintained the pressure.

The Hawks were more aggressive in the second period, with Dan Blanchett and youngster Jake Gale going close.

But Lee Bradbury’s side couldn’t find the equaliser as their away day woes continue you.

Gosport Borough’s unbeaten run came to an end, with Alex Pike’s side unable to make the most of two penalties at Sutton.

The home side came out of the gates the quickest with two quick-fire shots at Nathan Ashmore’s goal.

Dan Fitchett had the first effort, followed shortly by Ross Stearn – but Ashmore was equal to both shots.

However, Gosport were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead when Justin Bennett was fouled in the home penalty box by Dean Beckwith, resulting in a yellow card for the defender.

But Bennett was unable to convert the spot-kick as Ross Worner in the Sutton goal saved well to keep the score level.

It didn’t take long for Sutton to retaliate as Stuart Fleetwood clattered a shot against the bar, before Craig McAllister put the hosts ahead with a simple tap in on 21 minutes.

Gosport struggled to control their hosts as Sutton nearly doubled their lead on the half-hour mark.

McAllister’s shot was half-cleared by Ashmore, and Ross Stearn fired back towards goal, missing the target by inches.

As the game wore on Pike looked to inject a bit of energy into his side’s play, bringing on Jamie White for Wheeler, with 10 minutes left on the clock.

And it didn’t take White long to get involved in the action, as Borough were awarded their second spot-kick of the game.

Bennett again went to ground, but this time it was White who could not convert from 12 yards as Worner got a strong had to the substitute’s effort, ending Borough’s unbeaten run.

Petersfield’s FA Cup dream continues thanks to a 3-1 win over Weymouth.

A neat flowing move through the midfield from the hosts on 21 minutes found Joe Briggs on the right.

His cross found Alek Przespolewski, who slid in to send the ball into the top corner of the net.

The home side then extended their lead when Briggs drilled in a free-kick from 45 yards, which visiting goalkeeper Jason Matthews could only palm onto the underside of the crossbar before the ball dropped over the line – sparking wild celebrations among the local supporters.

Weymouth were reduced to 10 men when Mark Mogsley elbowed Sean Wain in the face, before Michael Dixon made it 3-0 to the Rams.

Weymouth did pull a goal back late on when Stuart Yetton had the simple task of hammering the ball home from close range.

A late Gary Charman strike also put Bognor into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup, with a 2-1 victory over Merstham.

Bognor made the breakthrough on 68 minutes when Craig Robson dived to head in Ollie Pearce’s corner.

Merstham hit back with five minutes remaining through Aaron Rhule.

However, a late goal from Charman gave the Rocks the victory and their name in the hat.

Joining Petersfield and Bognor in the next stage of the FA Cup will be AFC Portchester, who recorded an impressive 3-0 victory away to Bristol Manor Farm.

The Royals advance thanks to two goals from Alex Baldacchino and one for Luke Sweeney.

In the Sydenham’s Wessex League premier division, Horndean could only manage a point against Fawley, with Gary Austin netting for the Deans.

Moneyfields will be disappointed after fighting back from 2-0 down to lose 3-2 to Cowes Sport.

Miles Rutherford’s side trailed 2-0 before goals from Conor Bailey and Toby McCauley drew the game level.

However, Moneys were delt a hammer blow – conceding a third goal late on to leave them without a point.

Elsewhere, a below-strength Fareham Town fell to a 2-0 lose at home to second-place Sholing.