Hawks and Borough see play-off ambitions dented

Ben Wright  Picture: Ian Hargreaves
Ben Wright Picture: Ian Hargreaves
Have your say

The Hawks’ Vanarama Conference South play-off ambitions were dented by a 2-1 defeat against Weston-super-Mare at Woodspring Park.

A poor opening 45 minutes left the visitors trailing to two Jamie Lucas goals at the break.

Though substitute Ben Wright pulled a goal back midway through the second period, the Hawks returned from the West Country empty-handed.

A disappointing performance delivered a disappointing result, as Gosport Borough’s Vanarama Conference South play-off ambitions took a hit thanks to a 1-0 defeat at Eastbourne Borough.

Alex Pike’s side were not at the races and fell victim to Ryan Worrall’s first-half spot-kick, having been denied several penalty claims of their own.

Bognor were forced to settle for a share of the spoils as they were held to a 1-1 draw at Tonbridge in the Ryman League premier division.

Jason Prior put the Rocks ahead early in the second half but Mitchell Pinnock won and converted a penalty for the hosts to rescue a point.

Moneyfields came from behind twice to thrash Whitchurch 5-2 in a thrilling Wessex League premier division game at Dover Road.

Jamie Mansell was on hand to nod the visitors ahead early on.

Moneys were level at the break after a Steve Hutchings’ backheel found Alfie Rutherford.

Three minutes after the restart Whitchurch were awarded a penalty which Josh Green slotted home.

But Moneys were level shortly after through Ryan Pennary.

Jack Lee then found Hutchings to fire Moneys ahead for the first time.

Lewis Fennemore made it four, two minutes later.

Moneys sealed the game in the last minute when Tyler Giddens converted.

Wessex League premier division leaders Petersfield endured a frustrating afternoon after being held to a goalless draw at Fawley.

Ten-man Fareham Town slipped to a 2-0 Wessex League premier division defeat at home to Lymington at Cams Alders.

Town were dealt a blow early in the second half when Josh Cripps was given his marching orders for a second yellow card.

The deadlock was duly broken in controversial circumstances, though, as six Lymington players on the line bundled the ball into the net – despite the assistant refereee waving his flag for offside.

However, there was no controversy over visitors’ second goal – a spectacular half-volley from Oakley Hanger that gave home stopper Tom Webb no chance.