Hawks bag biggest-ever win as Sailors are sunk

Scott Jones on a fine night for Hawks. Picture: Dave Haines
Scott Jones on a fine night for Hawks. Picture: Dave Haines
Moneyfields manager Dave Carter

Carter: Moneys schedule taking its toll

Have your say

LEE BRADBURY’s fine start as Hawks boss continued as his men hammered United Services 11-1 at Westleigh Park.

It was a history-making night for Hawks – their biggest-ever margin of victory – as they progressed to the third round of the Hampshire Senior Cup in style.

Scott Jones led the way with four goals and Christian Nanetti and Stefan Bailey each struck twice.

Tony Taggart, Sahr Kabba and Sam Page were also on the mark.

‘It was all about maintaining standards and working hard which is what we did,’ said Bradbury.

‘We passed the ball really well and opened them up at will.’

The hosts made a flying start to the contest and Steve Ramsey and Jones went close.

An opening goal was very much on the cards and came on 11 minutes.

Tony Taggart crossed for Jones to divert the ball past US keeper Pete Houkes into the net.

Services worked hard in a bid to frustrate the home side but could not stem the tide.

Kabba was left pounding the pitch after shooting wide and Ramsey crashed a strike off the crossbar.

In a rare raid from the Sailors, Danny Rimmer saw his shot turned behind for a corner.

The inevitable second Hawks goal arrived in the 32nd minute.

Taggart fired home a low shot from the edge of the area.

Three minutes later, Jones picked his spot with a header to extend the lead to 3-0 as the relentless pressure continued.

On the stroke of half-time, Hawks made it four goals.

Christian Nanneti was chopped down in full-flight inside the area.

The winger stepped up himself and easily beat Houkes from the penalty spot.

Impressive Hawks continued their onslaught in the second half.

They took just two minutes to make it 5-0.

Kabba threaded a ball through for Jones, who easily tucked his shot past Houkes to complete his hat-trick.

To their credit, Services still tried to play their football but were totally outclassed by a Hawks side showing little sign of letting up.

Bailey added a sixth goal in the 57th minute, with a low shot on the turn from outside the area.

The goal spree continued a few minutes later, as Jones headed in his fourth and the Hawks’ seventh goal at the far post.

Home players were virtually queuing up in front of goal and Bailey made it eight on 72 minutes, with a firm far-post header.

Five minutes later, striker Kabba finally found the net long after his painful early miss.

There was some consolation for the visitors when Ryan Smart pulled a goal back, eight minutes from time.

But normal service was quickly resumed with Page delicately chipping in to take the home side to double figures.

There was still time for Nanetti to add an 11th goal and round off the scoring on what was an excellent night for Hawks.

HAWKS: Thomas; Hinshelwood, Ryan, Bailey, Pearce, Page, Taggart, Ramsey, Jones, Kabba, Nanetti. Subs: Woodford, Harris, Newton, Hutchinson, Palmer.

UNITED SERVICES: Houkes; Easton, Rimmer, Hooper, Bass, Mycock, Grice L, Smart, Lines, Stanley P, Stanley R. Subs: Grice T, Newman, Cable, Scott, Sandham.

Referee: D Treleaven (Whiteley).