Hawks boss satisfied with cup progress

Hawks-Scott Jones scores again for the hawks making his hat trick. from this shot'''Dave Haines (Photo credit should read Picture/s by Dave Haines)'
Hawks-Scott Jones scores again for the hawks making his hat trick. from this shot'''Dave Haines (Photo credit should read Picture/s by Dave Haines)'
Ollie Pearce scored for Bognor in their match today. Picture: Tommy McMillan

Bognor get first win in six months

Have your say

Lee Bradbury watched his Hawks move into the next round of the Hampshire Senior Cup and insisted: It’s a job well done.

Goals from Scott Jones, Steve Ramsey and Eddie Hutchinson sealed a 3-0 win at Totton & Eling last night.

Bradbury was delighted by the clean sheet but admitted his side could have scored more as they booked a tie with Sholing in the quarter-finals.

He said: ‘It’s a job well done on a difficult playing surface.

‘If it wasn’t for their goalkeeper and some poor finishing, we would have won by more.

‘I’m pleased we kept a clean sheet, though.

‘We worked hard to do that but it is all about being in the next round.’

As they travelled to Little Testwood Farm, the visitors made seven changes to the side that lost 4-0 at Grimsby Town in the FA Trophy.

And the Hawks took the game to their Wessex League premier division hosts in the early stages with Ramsey floating a shot over the bar.

Visiting goalkeeper Dan Thomas had to race out of his area to kick the ball away from the onrushing Craig Feeney.

But the home side were struggling to get any meaningful possession and the Hawks took a deserved lead in the 10th minute.

Tony Taggart’s low corner found Ryan Woodford just inside the area and his shot was turned in from close range by Jones.

Within a minute, Ramsey crashed a shot from six yards off the post as the Hawks looked to turn the screw. It was one-way traffic and Ramsey’s quickly taken free-kick was tipped around the foot of the post by Tony Harrop in the home goal.

The home side’s long, speculative balls were easily picked off and it was no surprise when the Hawks struck again on 29 minutes.

Chris Arthur’s low ball across the box was met by Ramsey, who thundered a first-time shot past Harrop.

In a rare foray forward, the hosts almost caught Thomas out with a long ball but Feeney’s lob dropped wide of the goal and the half finished with the Hawks 2-0 in front.

The visitors sent on Sahr Kabba and Ed Harris in place of Perry Ryan and Jones at the break.

Kabba almost made an immediate impact but Nigel Jenkin hooked his shot off the line with Harrop stranded.

The pacy striker then crossed from the byline for Christian Nanetti to shoot wide of the near post.

Although their neat passing game continued to cause the hosts problems, the Hawks were thwarted by dogged defending as the half wore on.

Totton & Eling even began to threaten a little more at the other end.

Ramsey was still causing havoc, though, and he was denied midway through the second half by an excellent one-handed save from Harrop.

Kabba then smashed a shot against the crossbar before Bradbury withdrew Ramsey and sent on Stefan Bailey for the final 20 minutes.

Ryan Moss was unlucky as his volley bounced down off the crossbar.

But the Hawks finally killed the tie off with a third goal on 75 minutes.

Bailey poked the ball through for Hutchinson to coolly place his shot wide of the keeper.

TOTTON & ELING: Harrop, N Jenkin, Green, Steer, Gharibian, Monk, Brock, S Jenkin, Creeney, Oliver, Carter. Subs: Lloyd, Lowther, Marwood, Tessem

HAWKS: Thomas, Hinshelwood, Arthur, Ryan, Hutchinson, Woodford, Nanetti, Ramsey, Jones, Moss, Taggart. Subs: Palmer, Kabba, Harris, Newton, Bailey