Hawks could face more FA questions after ugly derby brawl

Ollie Palmer in action against Farnborough. Picture: Dave Haines
Ollie Palmer in action against Farnborough. Picture: Dave Haines
Steve Ramsey scored for AFC Portchester in their defeat at Amesbury Town. Picture: Keith Woodland

Bognor remain bottom after defeat

Have your say

The Hawks could be in more hot water with the FA after the Blue Square Bet South visit to Farnborough descended into a brawl.

Already subject of misconduct charges after a proposed transfer deal last summer, the Westleigh Park outfit are now likely to be reported for their part in the post-match conflict at Cherrywood Lane.

Steve Ramsey was shown a red card in the melee after the game had ended 1-1.

Players and staff engaged in an angry exchange, while Lee Bradbury was ushered away from the referee by a steward.

The teams squared up to one another in the first half after Hawks striker Ollie Palmer had taken exception to a lunging challenge from Farnborough captain Dean Inman.

There was little love lost between Ramsey and Farnborough’s Dan Bennett for the remainder of the match.

And their feud carried on after the final whistle to spark the unsavoury incident.

Bradbury branded the referee’s performance as ‘terrible’ and insisted he was conned by the home side.

‘The referee was terrible,’ said the Hawks boss.

‘It was a derby and both teams were passionately at it trying to win the game.

‘There was a bit of a melee at the end – with a few people pushing and shoving.

‘Steve Ramsey pushed one of their players who then threw himself onto the floor like he had been hit in the face.

‘He has totally conned the referee and now we will be without one of our players for a few games.’

The Hawks had earlier hit back after a difficult first half to earn a share of the spoils with a Dan Strugnell header.

But despite finishing strong the visitors had to settle for a point after riding their luck in the opening 45 minutes.

Farnborough were quick out of the blocks and took the lead after only five minutes.

Inman rose above the Hawks defence to plant his header past keeper Clark Masters.

And before half-time Jake Newton cleared an effort off the line, while Reece Connolly sent a header against the far post with Masters well beaten.

The Hawks improved after the break, though.

And gained a reward on the hour when Bournemouth loanee Strugnell headed in Chris Arthur’s corner.

‘For long periods – particularly in the second half – we were the better team by a long way,’ said Bradbury.

‘We dictated matters to them and they ended up having to change their formation to deal with it.

‘In the second half we asked a lot of questions of them and on another day could have come away with a win.’

But it was not to be – instead, frustrations boiled over at the final whistle to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of players, staff and fans alike.

The match was the first in a tough run of away fixtures for the Hawks, who are now tied in 14th spot in the table.

They continue that daunting schedule when they travel to play-off chasing Boreham Wood tonight (7.45pm).

Hawks: Masters 7, Newton 8, Strugnell 8 Harris 8, Arthur 7, Hutchinson 7 (Ryan 76m), Ramsey 6, Kewley-Graham 7, Nanetti 6 (Grant 7, 59m), Palmer 6, Kabba 6. Subs not used: Jones, Hinshelwood, Woodford. Att: 483