Hawks earn morale-boosting derby win

Tony Taggart headed the Hawks into a 2-1 lead before the break     Picture: Dave Haines
Tony Taggart headed the Hawks into a 2-1 lead before the break Picture: Dave Haines
Hawks boss Lee Bradbury. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Hawks boss shrugs off setback in Cornwall

Have your say

Two goals from Tony Taggart helped the Hawks to a 4-1 FA Trophy win against Bognor at Nyewood Lane this afternoon.

Taggart put the Hawks 2-1 up before the break and netted again late on as the visitors put their league troubles aside to earn a morale-boosting victory.

Lee Bradbury made one change to the Hawks starting line-up, with Ryan Moss replacing Scott Jones up front.

The visitors made the perfect start, going ahead in the third minute from the penalty spot.

Steve Ramsey robbed Kane Wills on the halfway line and fed the ball through to Ollie Palmer who cut inside his defender into the area.

When he fired in a shot, defender Louis John was adjudged to have used his hand and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

Ramsey gave goalkeeper Craig Stoner no chance by burying his penalty into the bottom corner.

Seconds later, the Rocks missed a great chance to level when Ashley-Paul Robinson headed wide from six yards.

Ramsey was looking lively and fired a 20-yard shot narrowly over after latching on to Robinson’s mis-placed pass.

The Hawks were pressing high up the pitch, making it difficult for the home side to play their passing game from the back.

Despite this, the Rocks levelled on 19 minutes after Clark Masters was adjudged to have picked up a Jake Newton pass-back three yards from goal.

Wills laid the ball off to James Crane who smashed his low shot through a crowd of bodies and in at the near post.

The Hawks regained the lead four minutes later, though, with Tony Taggart thumping a header into the far corner from Ryan Woodford’s deep cross.

The action was unrelenting, with Masters saving at the second attempt from Crane and Dan Beck hooking narrowly over the top.

Paul Hinshelwood replaced Hamilton-Forbes for the Hawks at the start of the second half.

The Rocks were now on the front foot looking for an equaliser before the Hawks started to gain the ascendancy again.

Ramsey fired in the first effort with a volley over the bar from the edge of the area.

Stoner kept the Rocks in the tie with two close-range saves in a minute to deny both Palmer and Taggart.

Rocks substitute Terry Dodd then fired straight at Masters from a good position.

There was a huge let-off on 66 minutes for the Hawks when Robinson’s terrific curling shot bounced back off the far post with Masters beaten all ends up

A minute later, Perry Ryan was sent on for Ramsey.

Robinson had a shot blocked as the Rocks started to get back into the game.

But the Hawks virtually sealed the tie with a third goal nine minutes from time.

Palmer did superbly well to turn his defender before firing in a fierce shot which Stoner could only push out.

Taggart reacted quickest to knock the rebound into the empty net.

And Substitute Scott Jones added a fourth goal in stoppage-time as the Hawks ran out comfortable winners.

FA Trophy - third round qualifying

BOGNOR 1 (Crane)

HAWKS 4 (Ramsey - pen, Taggart 2, Jones)

Bognor: Stoner, Marzetti, Wollers, Crane, John, Partidge, Beck, Willis, Stockford, Robinson, Tuck. Subs: Walshe, Dodd, Cody, Boyle.

Hawks: Masters, Newton, Butler, Bailey, Harris, Woodford, Ramsey, Hamilton-Forbes, Palmer, Moss, Taggart. Subs: Jones, Kabba, Hinshelwood, Ryan, Page.

Referee: B Holderness