Hawks have four factor to bring back belief

Ollie Palmer impressed in the Hawks' 4-0 win over Dorchester     Picture: Dave Haines
Ollie Palmer impressed in the Hawks' 4-0 win over Dorchester Picture: Dave Haines
Dave Carter

Moneyfields owe Uxbridge as players dig deep

Have your say

Lee Bradbury celebrated a first home win as Hawks boss as his side beat Dorchester 4-0 last night.

The Westleigh Park success gave the Hawks their first clean sheet of the season and also hauled them out of the bottom three in Blue Square Bet South.

A Steve Ramsey penalty and Ollie Palmer effort put the hosts 2-0 up at the break, before Tony Taggart and Ed Harris goals wrapped up a win which Bradbury feels has put the confidence back into his squad.

He said: ‘This has been coming for a few games and we always believed we’d beat someone convincingly and did that.

‘It was a fantastic night for us but it’s just one small step and we have to keep building.

‘This would have done the lads’ confidence the world of good and you could see the belief flooding back into the team.

‘The players enjoyed it, played with passion and are now looking to compete and win.’

Palmer got in an early shot on the run but it lacked the power to trouble Jason Matthews in the visitors’ goal.

In a scrappy opening, the Hawks forced a first corner after 10 minutes and went on to make it count.

As Hutchinson looked to latch on to the low ball into the area, he went down under a poorly-timed tackle by Mark Jermyn.

The referee immediately pointed to the spot and Ramsey buried his penalty into the bottom corner, sending Matthews the wrong way.

There was a long delay when visiting defender Dan Green fell awkwardly and hobbled off on crutches.

The Hawks didn’t allow that to halt their momentum and Ryan Moss thumped a header past the upright.

On 26 minutes, the hosts extended their lead with a superb piece of opportunism by Palmer.

The striker beat Matthews to a ball over the top and when his lob bounced off the post, he raced in and lashed the rebound into the roof of the net.

Dorchester looked to hit back and Ash Nicholls flashed a header across the face of goal from a corner.

It was important the Hawks didn’t let the visitors back into it and, on 55 minutes, they missed a great chance to kill Dorchester off.

Palmer burst past two defenders into the area and, when his shot was parried, Taggart hooked the loose ball wide from close range.

Palmer was proving a real handful and his shot from an acute angle was almost deflected into his own net by a defender.

Just after the hour mark, the hosts did have that crucial third.

Palmer held the ball up superbly on the edge of the area and laid it back for Taggart to hammer home a low shot.

Masters kept the Hawks on course for a first clean sheet of the season with a superb point-blank save, with his defenders completing the clearance.

It was noticeable that Bradbury had the Hawks better organised and working hard for each other.

A fourth goal arrived on 76 minutes, with Harris turning the ball in from six yards after a cross from the right.

In stoppage-time the Hawks had Woodford sent off for a second bookable offence.

Hawks: Masters, Hinshelwood, Butler, Bailey, Harris, Woodford, Ramsey, Hutchinson, Palmer, Moss, Taggart.

Subs: Jones, Kabba, Hamilton-Forbes, Ryan, Page.

Dorchester: Matthews, Green, Smeeton, Clough, Walker, Gleeson, Gosling, Nicholls, Watson, Jermyn, Martin. Subs: Pugh, Crittenden, Malsom, Symes, Chiedozie.

Referee: T Wood (Gloucester).