Hawks held in Cup... Bennett bags four in Borough win

Gosport Borough striker Jusstin Bennett
Gosport Borough striker Jusstin Bennett
Have your say

The Hawks had to settle for a 1-1 draw against 10-man Larkhall Athletic in the FA Cup second qualifying round tie at Plain Ham.

James Hayter gave the Hawks a dream start thanks to a sixth-minute bullet header.

The visitors were on top for the majority of the game, with Matt Paterson and Scott Donnelly both going close to extending the Hawks’ lead.

The home side were reduced to 10-men early in the second half when Brad Norris was shown a second yellow

But the hosts still managed to peg the Hawks back with a 61st-minute equaliser.

Joe Raynes bundled his way through some poor challenges and poked his shot past keeper Ryan Young.

A seven-goal drubbing ensured that Gosport Borough had their name in the hat for the next round of the FA Cup.

Justin Bennett netted four times, with a brace from Tom Dunford and one for substitute Steve Ramsey rounding off a good day at the office for Alex Pike’s side.

Gosport were three goals to the good inside the opening 21 minutes - Bennett got his first after 11 minutes, with Dunford pouncing on a loose ball two minutes later, before Bennett hammered the ball in to make it 3-0.

Dunford had an easy tap-in four minutes before the break to get his second and Borough’s fourth.

Things then got worse in the second half for the outfit from Devon, with Nick Milton being shown his second yellow card after bringing down Bennett outside the area.

Bennett had the ball in the back of the net once more after 78 minutes, scoring his third hat-trick of the season.

Eight minutes later and it was six goals for the home side, with substitute Ramsey firing the ball into the net from close range after good build-up play.

A minute later it was 7-0, with Bennett rounding off the scoring to get his fourth of the game.

Meanwhile, Bognor scored twice in a dramatic final 15 minutes to reach the third qualifying round of the Cup with victory over National League North side Lowestoft.

The Rocks were dominant throughout the game, but were unable to break the deadlock until 76 minutes.

Two goal-bound efforts were blocked before the loose ball fell to Dan Beck, who smashed it home.

Lowestoft leveled on 82 minutes through Danny Crow.

However, almost straight from the kick-off, Pearce scored to send the Rocks through.

Petersfield continued their best ever run in the Cup with a 3-1 win against Cirencester.

They took the lead with the first attack of the game, Howard Neighbour swung in a cross to find Joe Briggs. His first touch let him down, but he managed to recover to toe-poke the ball past keeper Gyln Garner.

Cirencester were level a minute after the restart when Charlie Griffin’s free-kick gave keeper Anthony Ender no chance.

The Rams regained on 62 minutes the lead after a well worked corner found Neighbour racing in to power his headed into the net.

In the dying moments Briggs slid the ball home to make it three

Elsewhere, AFC Portchester were the only local side to exit the FA Cup.

A frustrating afternoon saw the Royals go 1-0 down away to Brockenhurst after six minutes.

Despite their best efforts, Graham Rix’s FA Cup dream ended at the second hurdle.

In the Wessex League premier division, Moneyfields fell to a 4-1 defeat at Dover Road to Team Solent.

Connor Bailey got the only goal for Moneys as the visitors slipped down the table.

Horndean came from a goal behind against Verwood Town to score two late goals securing all three points.

Verwood took the lead after 20 minutes and it looked to be the only goal of the game until Dan Woodward converted from the spot on 83 minutes.

With the game looking like it was heading for a draw, Garry Austin popped up two minutes into stoppage time to grab all three points for the Deans.

Fareham Town could only manage a draw away to Lymington Town.

Bradey Norton got on the score sheet for the Reds but it wasn’t enough to them to gain the victory.