Hawks hit back in style to win praise from Bradbury

Bradley Bubb netted a double for the Hawks against Hayes & Yeading. Picture: Paul Jacobs (15006-1010)
Bradley Bubb netted a double for the Hawks against Hayes & Yeading. Picture: Paul Jacobs (15006-1010)
Have your say

Lee Bradbury was delighted with the desire shown by the Hawks as they beat Hayes & Yeading 4-2 at Westleigh Park.

The boss felt the determined display proved his team were wounded by their derby loss at Gosport Borough on New Year’s Day and desperate not to taste defeat again.

After falling behind to the visitors, Dan Strugnell quickly levelled and Bradley Bubb then scored twice for the Hawks.

Hayes & Yeading cut the deficit to 3-2 but Ben Wright rounded off an excellent win for the Hawks.

Bradbury said: ‘That was just the reaction I wanted after the New Year’s Day defeat at Gosport.

‘We worked hard and showed a lot of heart on a very heavy pitch.

‘There was a determination out there to make sure we got the win.

‘The most pleasing thing was our desire to show the Gosport defeat hurt us.’

Bradbury made three changes to the starting line-up with Warren Cummings, Bradley Bubb and Josh Huggins replacing Dan Blanchett, Ben Swallow and JJ Hooper.

The soft pitch cut up from the start, making it difficult for both teams and it was the visitors who stunned the home side by taking a seventh-minute lead from a corner.

When the ball came in from the right, Dean Inman rose above a static home defence to guide his header past Hawks keeper Ryan Young.

Less than five minutes later, the Hawks were level through a rare strike from defender Strugnell.

When the visitors could only clear a Bubb effort to the edge of the area, the full-back curled a sublime shot just inside the far post.

The goal helped the Hawks regain their composure and they started to dominate possession.

They should have gone ahead just before the half hour but Wright had a close-range shot stopped on the goal line.

Brian Stock was denied by a point-blank save and Wright had another shot cleared off the goal line.

But the pressure told when Bubb put the Hawks in front after latching on to a beautifully weighted pass from Scott Donnelly.

The striker beat advancing keeper Calum Kitscha to the ball and rolled it into the empty net.

The Hawks tightened their grip on the game on 51 minutes when Bubb grabbed his second goal of the game.

Nic Ciardini and Huggins combined well to the left of the area and Bubb diverted the former’s low cross into the net from three yards.

The visitors weren’t prepared to give up and Dylan Kearney sent a header against the post with the diving Young beaten.

On 56 minutes, Hayes hit back with Rhys Murrell-Williamson sending a low drive past Young from just outside the area.

With 15 minutes remaining, the home side replaced two-goal Bubb with Shamir Mullings.

Swallow then came on for Ciardini three minutes later and almost immediately Wright restored the Hawks’ two-goal advantage.

Donnelly found Wright and the striker sent a measured shot past the keeper.

With the visitors looking dangerous it was just what the Hawks needed to put the seal on their victory.

Hawks: Young, Strugnell, Cummings, Stock, Dutton, Harris, Ciardini, Donnelly, Wright, Bubb, Huggins. Subs: Connell, Swallow, Blanchett, Woodford, Mullings.

Att: 581.