Hawks maul Baffins after Bradbury rings changes

Matt Paterson had to make do with a spot on the Hawks bench on Saturday but bounced back in style at Baffins. Picture: Mick Young
Matt Paterson had to make do with a spot on the Hawks bench on Saturday but bounced back in style at Baffins. Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

Lee Bradbury was pleased to see his fringe players take their chance in a Portsmouth Senior Cup mauling of Baffins Milton Rovers at the Kendalls Stadium.

The Hawks cruised to a 9-0 success over the Wessex League division one outfit – after racing into a 6-0 lead by the half-time break.

Jason Prior netted a hat-trick, Matt Paterson and George Barker grabbed doubles, while Alfie Whittingham and Dan Strugnell were also on the mark.

Having made seven changes from the side which regained top spot in the Ryman League premier division on Saturday, Bradbury was delighted to see the intensity remain.

The Hawks boss said: ‘We went there and did things right. The attitude of the players was spot on.

‘I made seven changes to the team and the players who came in are all knocking on the door with a point to prove.

‘We showed good energy and stood up to the task.

‘We are now through to the semi-finals and it is a competition where we can continue to give players minutes.’

Paterson curled an early shot wide of the far post as the Hawks started on the front foot.

They got their reward in the sixth minute when Whittingham put them in front.

The overlapping Bradley Tarbuck saw his cross bounce off the inside of the far post and Whittingham knocked it in from point-blank range.

Within three minutes Jason Prior headed across the six-yard area to present Paterson with a simple tap-in for the second.

The Hawks remained in charge and Prior sent another powerful header straight at Baffins keeper Tony Male.

A superb move down the left saw the Hawks extend their lead in the 26th minute following excellent work from Barker and Ben Swallow.

The latter whipped in a superb cross for Prior to volley into the roof of the net.

It was one-way traffic with Barker then converting a Marley Ridge through-ball in the 32nd minute.

Prior added a fifth four minutes later with a far-post header and on the stroke of half-time Dan Strugnell notched a sixth.

Paterson came in for some rough treatment in the opening minutes of the second period.

Twice he was flattened by crude challenges from behind but the striker took his revenge when he easily slotted the ball past Male on 58 minutes. Prior added to Baffins’ misery when he sent Male the wrong way from the penalty spot four minutes later to take the Hawks tally to eight.

It went from bad to worse when Baffins had Jamie White sent off for a second bookable offence.

Another goal from Barker completed the rout.

Baffins Milton Rovers: Male, White, Watts, Yates, Audin, Moret, Thomas, Cornish, Dart, Pennery, Eaves. Subs: Rushton, Willett, White, Leigh

Hawks: Young, Tarbuck, Harris, Whittingham, Strugnell, Robinson, Barker, Ridge, Paterson, Prior, Swallow. Subs: Molyneaux, Rutherford, Winterburn, Brown

Attendance: 203