Hawks ‘not ruthless enough’ in Trophy tie

Bradley Bubb put the Hawks in front. Picture: Sarah Standing (143389-9588)
Bradley Bubb put the Hawks in front. Picture: Sarah Standing (143389-9588)
Have your say

Lee Bradbury accused the Hawks of lacking the killer instinct in their FA Trophy draw at Weymouth.

The visitors had to settle for a replay at Westleigh Park tomorrow night – despite their Southern League premier division hosts playing for more than hour with 10 men.

Victory in the first-round tie at the Wessex Stadium looked plain sailing for the Hawks when Bradley Bubb put them in front after an hour.

But the gutsy Terras hit back to level just four minutes later.

A combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing denied the Hawks and it took a magnificent save from Ryan Young deep into stoppage-time to spare their blushes.

‘It was a tough game and we were not ruthless enough,’ said Hawks boss Bradbury.

‘We should have killed the game off with a second goal.

‘All the time there is only one goal in it they always had a chance

‘When they went down to 10 men, I thought we passed the ball well. I knew we had to be patient.

‘They made it hard for us by playing a compact formation that was difficult to play through.

‘We had plenty of opportunities but didn’t manage to put the ball in the net and that is disappointing.

‘The first goal was crucial but, give them credit, Weymouth showed a great never-say-die attitude and came from behind to maintain their unbeaten home record.

‘They’ll consider it a moral victory after losing a player so early.’

The Hawks were forced to make a last-minute change when midfielder Perry Ryan pulled up with a back spasm in the warm-up.

Josh Huggins came in and it proved a cat-and-mouse tie in the opening 25 minutes, although the Hawks had the best openings.

The defining moment of the first half came when Jamie Laird left referee Steven Plane with little option other than a red card after a catalogue of errors.

Laird’s under-hit backpass put Huggins clear and the defender then compounded his error by bringing the Hawks attacker down from behind.

When Bubb fired the visitors in front, tucking in a rebound after Jason Matthews had parried a shot, it looked like game over.

But the Hawks had not reckoned on the Terras’ fighting spirit and within four minutes George Rigg fired them level.

‘In the end Ryan Young kept us in it with a great save because the ball was arrowing into the top corner,’ said Bradbury.

‘Looking at it positively, we are still in the hat for the next round and we are home in the replay.

‘Weymouth showed they are a young, energetic side with lots of pace and we will have to be prepared for them.

‘The onus is on us now to go and win the game.’

HAWKS: Young, Strugnell, Cummings (Blanchett, 89min), Stock, Dutton, Harris, Ciardini (Mullings, 89min), Donnelly, Wright, Bubb (Hooper, 67min), Huggins. Att: 512