Hawks scrub out Staines

Sahr Kabba put the Hawks in front against Staines   Picture: Dave Haines
Sahr Kabba put the Hawks in front against Staines Picture: Dave Haines
Brett Poate

Defenders provide a big boost for Moneyfields

Have your say

The Hawks secured three vital points with a deserved 3-1 win over Staines Town at Westleigh Park.

The home side raced into a two-goal lead through Sahr Kabba and Ollie Palmer before the visitors hit back before the break.

But substitute Scott Jones sealed the win 12 minutes from time with a third Hawks goal.

Boss Lee Bradbury made one change to his starting line-up after winning in the FA Trophy at Braintree in midweek.

Central defender Ryan Woodford returned from a two-match ban in place of Eddie Hutchinson who dropped to the bench.

In the Staines ranks, centre-half Sam Page made a quick return to Westleigh Park just two weeks after leaving the Hawks.

Chris Arthur carried on where he left off at Braintree in midweek with a couple of surging runs down the right.

One deep cross aimed at striker Palmer was turned behind for a corner from which the Hawks had a good chance.

Perry Ryan’s flag-kick was knocked down to Kabba in front of goal but the little striker couldn’t turn quickly enough.

When Staines attacked, Jerel Ifil sent a low shot from outside the area straight at Clark Masters.

On 10 minutes, a mistake from Dan Butler allowed David Wheeler to race away and send a low ball across the face of the Hawks goal but no visiting player was on the end to meet it.

Christian Nanetti was looking lively, causing Staines problems with his weaving runs.

Midway through the half a superb drilled ball from Nanetti set Kabba clear and, although he took the ball around the goalkeeper, a Braintree defender got back to clear off the line.

From the corner, however, the Hawks took a deserved lead.

Ed Harris headed the ball down and this time Kabba quickly turned to fire home from three yards.

The home side tightened their grip on the game in the 27th minute with a second goal.

Arthur’s deep free-kick fell to the unmarked Palmer and the striker fired his low shot across the goalkeeper and into the bottom far corner.

The Hawks continued to boss the game but Masters had to beat down a fierce, angled shot from Jordaan Brown.

Staines got themselves back into the game with a stunning strike six minutes before the break.

The home side conceded a free-kick 25 yards out and Richard Langley curled an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

Hawks were almost caught out by a quick counter-attack two minutes into the second half.

Staines substitute Louis-Rae Beadle’s shot was heading for the far corner until Masters went full length to push the ball away.

The home side needed to regain their momentum of the first half and, twice in a minute, Palmer went close.

The striker had a shot from eight yards blocked in front of goal and then volleyed over from Nanetti’s deft chip.

When Kabba went down in theatrical fashion inside the area the referee booked him for diving.

Tony Garrod got the wrong side of Woodford in the 64th minute and sent an angled drive just over the angle of post and bar.

Staines goalkeeper Jack Turner made a superb double save to deny Perry Ryan and Kabba and keep his side in the game.

On 66 minutes, the Hawks made a double change, sending on Steve Ramsey and Tony Taggart for Bailey and Nanetti.

Ramsey worked himself into a good position in the area only to be dispossessed before getting in a shot.

Jones replaced the injured Kabba up front for the final 14 minutes.

And the Hawks gave themselves some breathing space in the 78th minute as they restored their two-goal cushion.

Arthur burst down the left from halfway and picked out Palmer on the edge of the area.

His shot was pushed out by Turner but Jones kept his cool to tuck the rebound into the corner of the net.

Blue Square Bet South

HAWKS 3 (Kabba, Palmer, Jones)

STAINES TOWN 1 (Langley)

Att: 661

Hawks: Masters, Newton, Butler, Bailey, Harris, Woodford, Nanetti, Ryan, Palmer, Kabba, Arthur. Subs: Strugnell, Hutchinson, Taggart, Ramsey, Jones.

Staines Town: Turner, Ferrell, Brown, Langley, Page, Ifil, Wheeler, Ferguson, Reece, Taylor, Worsfold. Subs: Garrod, Faith, Elliott Godfrey, Drage, Beadle.

Referee: Richard Kendall.