Hook wishes Pike speedy recovery after Borough triumph

1/10/11  sport''Gosport Borough V Taunton Town, Privett Park action. Pictured is Gosport's Justin Bennett''Picture: Paul Jacobs  (113483-2)
1/10/11 sport''Gosport Borough V Taunton Town, Privett Park action. Pictured is Gosport's Justin Bennett''Picture: Paul Jacobs (113483-2)
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Alex Pike was taken ill as his Gosport side crushed Wimborne 5-3 at Privett Park last night.

The match was halted 10 minutes from time when the Borough manager collapsed in his technical area and an ambulance was called.

Pike was treated by paramedics as the hosts completed their Southern League south & west division triumph – inspired by a first-half hat-trick by Justin Bennett.

He was later allowed home but chairman Mark Hook admitted the boss was still at the forefront of everyone’s mind.

He said: ‘The result is very much secondary to what happened to our manager last night.

‘It was a very worrying time for everyone involved with the club and we just hope he recovers quickly so we can tell him how well the side did.’

Pike had earlier been forced into one change from the side that drew with Paulton Rovers at the weekend.

Liam Sewell took over from former Pompey hitman Steve Claridge, who was sidelined through injury.

And Sewell was quick to repay his manager’s faith. With just a minute played, he teed up Bennett to fire into an empty net and put Gosport ahead.

Almost before the celebrations were over Borough struck again.

This time it was George Way who picked up a loose ball to rifle home a shot from the edge of the area.

Rampant Borough were in no mood to sit on their lead, either. With just nine minutes gone they went further ahead – Adam Wilde’s left-footed missile of a free-kick burying itself in the Wimborne net.

And still the goals flowed. Sewell was once again involved, outmuscling his marker to feed Bennett to thump home number four.

Sixty seconds later and Bennett had his hat-trick. The prolific striker cut a path through a retreating Wimborne defence to find the bottom corner.

The shellshocked visitors suddenly came to life and pulled a goal back courtesy of Jamie Davidson.

He raced through to beat Nathan Ashmore at his near post and reduce arrears before, on the stroke of half-time, they hit back again when Ryan Wignall let fly from distance to make it 4-2 at the interval.

As the second half got underway, Borough’s Lee Molyneaux wasted a glorious chance to increase the home side’s lead when he shot over from close range.

And when play broke in favour of the Dorset visitors, Davidson picked up a yellow card for a dive under Nathan Kirby’s challenge in the Borough penalty box.

Davidson quickly made amends, though, when his half-hit shot from 12 yards took a deflection and beat Ashmore to make it 5-3.

Now it was Borough’s turn to feel the heat as Wimborne sensed a sensational fightback.

But on 80 minutes, play was halted when Pike collapsed on the touchline and an ambulance was called.

When the match resumed, Borough were again under the cosh with Wimborne strikers Nathan Lynch and Max Kemble both going close to pulling back another goal.

But Borough held out for the final 10 minutes to earn themselves another three points, as their boss received treatment in the ambulance.

Gosport: Ashmore, Jones, E Martin, Way, Molyneaux, Kirby, Langworthy, Ford, Sewell, Bennett, Wilde. Subs: Desport, Camp, Heard, S Martin, Hards

Wimborne Town: Ackerman, Arnold, Cole, Jamison,

Peprah-Annan, Magookin, Davidson, Webb, Kemble, Wignall, Jeffes. Subs: Dear, Cream, Clowes, Lynch, Collins

Referee: Matt Eva (Guildford)