Hutchings and Rackley on mark for Moneys

Steve Hutchings opened the scoring for Moneyfields
Steve Hutchings opened the scoring for Moneyfields
Richard Pacquette and Rocky Baptiste (right) celebrate with the Hawks fans after the win against Swansea

Cup nostalgia: ‘Fantastic night’ for Hawks set up famous Anfield trip

Have your say

A goal in each half was enough for Moneyfields to see off the spirited challenge of Alton Town at a chilly Rover Road.

It was a lively start to the game, with both sides threatening to take an early lead.

Mlanbo forced Moneys keeper Dave Hook into a full-length save to deny him, while at the other end, Steve Hutchings saw his effort curl a foot wide of the far post.

Midway through the first half, Bowles missed a glorious chance to put the visitors in front when he blazed a free header over the bar from six yards.

Moneys were then convinced they should have had a penalty on the half-hour mark when Jake Slatter appeared to be tripped.

But two minutes later they were awarded a spot-kick for an even softer challenge.

This time Hutchings was nudged from behind and the striker picked himself up to confidently put away the penalty.

Alton were almost on level terms within five minutes.

Little did well to beat three players on the byline, only to see Hook turn his shot on to the top of the bar.

At the start of the second half, the home side just did enough to maintain their lead when Hook blocked Mlanbo’s shot, while Evans kicked Little’s follow-up effort off the line.

It was a miss that would prove costly for the visitors as Moneys promptly marched up the other end and increased their lead.

Hutchings won a corner on the right, and when the ball was swung in, Rackley was completely unmarked to head into the roof of the net.

Two goals to the good, Miles Rutherford made a double switch, with Warren Hunt replacing Slatter and George Gregory slotting into Boyle’s roll on the right-hand side.

The second goal, also had the affect of taking the urgency out of the game.

There was plenty of endeavour from both sides, but all too often Alton’s approach play was let down by their final ball.

Meanwhile, Moneys seemed content to soak up the pressure and hit their guests on the counter-attack.

In injury time, the woodwork came to the hosts’ rescue again when Foot’s long-range free-kick came off the inside of the post, with Hook well beaten.

Moneyfields: Dave Hook, Rob Evans, Aidran Brockway, Jack Lee, Russell Rackley, Sean Kerridge, James Ford, Danny Boyle, Jake Slatter, Steve Hutchings, Alex Miroy. Subs: Warren Hunt, Bobby Scott, George Gregory, Jake Raine, Cameron Scott.

n Elsewhere in the Wessex League premier division, Hayling remain just above the drop zone after their 2-0 defeat at Fawley.

Meanwhile, both Horndean and AFC Portchester also lost.

Portchester went down to a 3-2 defeat at the hands of Verwood Town, while the Deans lost 5-3 at promotion-chasing Alresford.