Hutchings double fails to save Moneyfields

Steve Hutchings. Picture: Neil Marshall
Steve Hutchings. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Moneyfields crashed to a 3-2 defeat against 10-man Lymington Town in their Wessex League premier division contest at Dover Road.

The visitors had their goalkeeper sent off on the hour mark.

But the Copnor club were left counting the cost of a poor first half as they failed to mount a comeback.

Moneys boss Miles Rutherford blamed the defeat on schoolboy errors.

‘It was easily one of our worst defensive performances,’ said the manager.

‘All their goals were bad goals to give away and came from our mistakes.

‘We trailed 2-0 at half-time and it was virtually all over by then.

‘There are few complaints because we are not playing well.’

Lymington’s goalkeeper was shown a red card for punching substitute Steve Hutchings on the floor.

The striker converted the resulting penalty but soon afterwards the home side gifted the visitors a third.

Although Hutchings grabbed his second with 10 minutes remaining, the home side couldn’t find an equaliser.

AFC Portchester set up a mouthwatering Hampshire Senior Cup derby at Gosport Borough by winning 4-1 at Team Solent.

The Royals will relish the opportunity to have a crack at their National League South neighbours.

Against the students, Jason Parish grabbed a hat-trick and Alex Baldacchino also got on the scoresheet.

Gary Austin grabbed a hat-trick on his return from holiday to set Horndean on their way to a 5-2 win over Wessex League division one opponents Alton Town at Five Heads Park.

An own goal and one from Alfie Smith topped up the tally, while Alton had a player sent off just before the interval.

‘We made eight changes and the players who came in did well,’ said Horndean manager Dave Carter.

‘In the second half we saw the game out in a professional manner.

‘Last season we got to the quarter-finals and knocked out Eastleigh on the way.

‘We want to have another good run and it was also important to win to keep the confidence up.’

Fareham Town lost central midfielder Adam Fisher in the first half with a suspected broken leg in their 1-0 exit at Folland Sports.

The Reds fell behind five minutes before the break.