Keeper signs Hawks deal

Keeper Scott Bevan has signed a two-year deal with the Hawks
Keeper Scott Bevan has signed a two-year deal with the Hawks
Have your say

Scott Bevan has agreed a two-year deal with the Hawks.

The former Bristol Rovers keeper has joined the Conference South club after impressing between the sticks in their two friendlies so far this summer, against Wycombe and Pompey.

The 6ft 7in shot stopper was targeted by Hawks manager Lee Bradbury and has signed in time for a busy pre-season campaign which continues against Salisbury City at Westleigh Park tomorrow night (7.45pm).

Bevan started his long goalkeeping career in his home town of Southampton for seven years, making loan appearances for Woking, Huddersfield Town and Wycombe Wanderers.

In January 2006, while on loan at Tamworth, Bevan sustained a serious injury against Forest Green Rovers which needed surgery and resulted in him having a kidney removed.

Bevan displayed great courage and discipline to return to the professional game, racking up an impressive amount of appearances for Kidderminster Harriers, Shrewsbury Town, Torquay United and Bristol Rovers.

A wrist injury and subsequent operation kept him out for the whole of last season and he was released by Rovers at the start of this month.

Gosport Borough began preparations for their first-ever season in Conference South with a 3-1 friendly win at Wessex League champions Blackfield & Langley on Saturday.

Assistant manager Mick Catlin was pleased with the way his team dealt with the heat in their first run-out.

‘The heat governed the tempo of the game and we were pleased with the fitness levels,’ said Catlin.

‘New players Paul Hinshelwood, Sam Pearce and Andy Forbes all did well.’

Tom Dunford gave Borough the lead, before the visitors conceded a sloppy goal on the stroke of half-time.

But Further strikes by Rory Williams and Dan Wooden after the break gave Gosport a winning start.

Alex Pike’s men are in action again tonight at AFC Totton (7.45pm).

Fareham Town raced into a seven-goal lead in the opening half hour of their friendly at Hampshire Premier League hosts QK Southampton.

The Reds eventually won 7-2 after making wholesale changes for the second half.

‘We played some impressive football despite the heat,’ said Fareham manager Matt Parr.

‘They couldn’t get the ball off us as we passed it around well.

‘I feel we are heading in the right direction.’

Sam Knight (2), Wayne Boud, Josh Cripps, Pete Murphy, Dougie Rowe and Ash Tattersall found the net for the visitors.

Fellow Wessex League premier side Moneyfields slipped to a 4-0 defeat at Sussex County League side Worthing United.

Goals from Matt Andrews and Gavin Spurway gave Horndean a 2-0 win over Holt United.