Late heartbreak for Fareham after stellar show

Ash Tattersall, left. Picture: Sarah Standing (123571-2172)
Ash Tattersall, left. Picture: Sarah Standing (123571-2172)
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

A stoppage-time goal pegged Fareham Town back to a 4-4 draw against Wessex League premier division leaders Newport at Cams Alders.

In a terrific contest the Reds led three times before having to settle for a share of the spoils.

‘This was a superb advert for Wessex League football,’ said Fareham manager Matt Parr.

‘Although it is disappointing to concede so late in the game, a draw was probably a fair result.

‘We made a few costly mistakes but the lads showed a lot of character to come back after going behind at the start of the second half. I couldn’t fault their effort.’

Josh Wilson gave Town an early lead with a twice-taken penalty after an Ash Tattersall cross was handled in the area.

Newport hit back to level but the Reds went into the break with a 2-1 lead courtesy of an own goal.

The Isle of Wight visitors took charge with two goals inside the first 11 minutes of the second period.

But the Reds refused to give up.

Blu Boam levelled the scores and Tattersall put the Reds ahead when Robbie Pittman’s acrobatic overhead-kick fell to him in the area.

However, at the death the home side paid the price for a weak clearing header which was volleyed past keeper Luke Douglas.

AFC Portchester – still reeling from their FA Vase expulsion – could only manage a 1-1 draw against Whitchurch United at Wicor Mill.

The home side left it late with Jamie Musselwhite heading a late equaliser.

‘After the difficult week we had I am so proud of the effort and commitment from the players,’ said first-team coach Louis Bell.

‘The Vase business has ripped the guts out of us but as a club we will dust ourselves down, pick ourselves up and go again.’

Newcomer Jack Blake-Sullivan grabbed Moneyfields’ equaliser in their 1-1 draw at Christchurch.

The midfielder fired home a good free-kick on the hour mark and the Copnor club should have gone on to win.

Striker Steve Hutchings squandered two gilt-edged chances in the closing stages.

‘We were poor in the first half but improved in the second,’ said Moneys boss Miles Rutherford.

Horndean slipped to a 3-0 defeat at Folland Sports.