Lindsey treble sees Fareham sign off in style

Graham Lindsey grabbed a treble as Fareham thrashed Bournemouth Poppies 7-1
Graham Lindsey grabbed a treble as Fareham thrashed Bournemouth Poppies 7-1
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Graham Lindsey grabbed a second-half hat-trick as Fareham signed off in the Wessex League premier with a 7-1 thrashing of Bournemouth Poppies.

In an entertaining season finale, the Creeksiders ran in five goals after the break to record their biggest win of the season.

Dougie Rowe gave the hosts a fifth-minute lead when he intercepted visiting keeper Kenny Vaughan’s hurried clearance to net.

Rowe then added a second from Lindsey’s headed flick-on in the 23rd minute.

When Rowe limped out of the action early in the second half and Poppies’ Scott Joyce spectacularly volleyed Sam Bunton’s miscued clearance back over the keeper’s head and into the net from almost 40 yards out, it looked as though Fareham had a fight on their hands.

However, the Poppies’ goal proved to be their high point. Lindsey soon restored the two-goal advantage and, with Josh Cripps and Ashley Tattershall taking full advantage of the space afforded them in midfield, the Poppies defence simply fell apart in the final 20 minutes.

Lindsey turned provider for Wayne Bond to add the fourth, before heading the fifth five minutes from time.

Tattershall capped a fine performance by collecting Dan Winzar’s pass and rounding Vaughan for goal number six, before Lindsey completed yet another hat-trick with the seventh in the final minute.

Hayling United paid the price for sloppy defending as they were held to a 3-3 home draw against Verwood Town.

The Humbugs led 3-1 with 10 minutes left but a last-gasp unstoppable 30-yard strike denied the home side the win.

The Humbugs trailed 1-0 at the break before goals from Jack Salter-Vaile and Steve Black (2) put them in charge.

‘It is disappointing but we have to pick ourselves up and go again in our final game against GE Hamble on Thursday,’ said Hayling manager Steve Poulton.