Love-Lee start for new Hawks boss Bradbury

Ollie Palmer put the Hawks in front against Basingstoke   Picture: Dave Haines
Ollie Palmer put the Hawks in front against Basingstoke Picture: Dave Haines
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Lee Bradbury celebrated a winning start to his reign as the Hawks came from behind to beat Basingstoke Town 2-1 at the Camrose Ground.

After trailing 1-0 at the break, the visitors improved in the second half and hit back with goals from Tony Taggart and Ollie Palmer to get former Pompey striker Bradbury off to a flier in Blue Square Bet South.

Bradbury made just one enforced change to the starting line-up.

Goalkeeper Dan Thomas recovered from an injured hand to earn his first start of the season in place of suspended Clark Masters.

The home side threatened early, with Tim Sills getting above Ed Harris to flash a header narrowly over the bar.

That proved the only action in a low-key opening 15 minutes in which both teams cancelled each other out.

Delano Sam-Yorker sent a low drive across the Hawks’ six-yard box but there was no-one to get a touch.

Thomas then kept the Hawks level with a flying 18th-minute save to tip a goalbound Sills header over the bar.

It was Basingstoke who made the breakthrough after 25 minutes through Sam-Yorke.

The striker received the ball just outside the area and turned Ryan Woodford far too easily, before curling his shot beyond the diving Thomas.

Callum McNish went close to extending the lead with a terrific 20-yard half-volley that flew over the angle of bar and post.

New Hawks boss Bradbury was being given plenty to think about as his side struggled to make an impact.

Woodford had to make a vital last ditch tackle inside the area to prevent Sam-Yorke getting free inside the area.

Harris was then booked for blocking off Sam-Yorke midway inside the Hawks half.

Hawks had Jake Newton booked in the early minutes of the second period.

The visitors dragged themselves level in the 50th minute through an excellent Tony Taggart strike.

Wes Daly was robbed of possession midway inside his own half and, from 20 yards, Taggart fired his shot past the diving keeper into the bottom corner.

Almost immediately, Steve Ramsey drilled another fierce effort just over the top.

It was a much more open affair now and Newton had to hook the ball away after Thomas dropped a routine cross.

Jordace Holder-Spooner fired over from a good position inside the area as both teams suddenly looked threatening in attack.

Hawks had a le- off midway through the half when Newton appeared to bring Sam-Yorke down inside the area but the referee gave a free-kick on the edge of the box.

Paul Hinshelwood replaced the injured Stefan Bailey after 66 minutes.

The Hawks then had a huge escape on 72 minutes when McNish failed to turn the ball into an open goal from three yards.

Three minutes later, Ryan Moss replaced Taggart as the Hawks looked to find a winner.

On 77 minutes the visitors forged in front after a superb break from inside his own half by Christian Nanetti.

Nanetti picked out Moss on the left and he squared the ball across for Palmer who calmly side footed home.

Substitute Shaun Mcauley smashed a shot against the post two minutes from time. And that was to prove crucial as the Hawks hung on for three precious points.

Blue Square Bet South


HAWKS 2 (Taggart, Palmer)

BASINGSTOKE: Bayes, Rice, Warner, Paterson, Gasson, Campbell, Daly, McNish, Sills, Sam-Yorker, Holder-Spooner. Subs: Brown, Smart, Mcauley, Dunn, McDonnell.

HAWKS: Thomas, Newton, Ryan, Hutchinson, Harris, Woodford, Taggart, Bailey, Palmer, Ramsey, Nanetti. Subs: Page, Kabba, Jones, Hinshelwood, Moss.

REFEREE: A Crysell.