Martin dismissed as Fareham crash out of FA Cup

Fareham boss Matt Parr
Fareham boss Matt Parr
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

ILL DISCIPLINE proved costly for Matt Parr’s Fareham Town as they were smashed 5-1 at Totton & Eling in the FA Cup.

The Reds looked the better side early on but capitulated in the second half.

Rob Tambling opened the scoring for Fareham and they could have had three goals in a dominant opening 20 minutes.

Tambling had a goal ruled out and Rob Stock’s header was cleared off the line.

After riding their luck, the hosts forged a 2-1 lead to take into the second half.

Even then Fareham still looked the most likely to win.

But star defender Louis Martin was red-carded for dissent and Totton seized the opportunity.

Former Saint Joe Tessem capped a fine display by chipping in a third and Totton went on to score twice more.

‘It really hinged on being down to 10-men after Louis Martin – our best defender – was sent off,’ said Fareham secretary Ian Tewson.

‘We lost our discipline and got punished, it’s as simple as that, which makes defeat harder to take.’

AFC Portchester celebrated their first-ever FA Cup tie with a 2-0 win at Combined Counties League premier outfit Cove.

Goals in each half from Mark Collis and Jake Daniels gave the visitors a safe passage and earned them an attractive tie at home against Newport IOW.

A dominant second half saw Horndean cruise to a 4-0 win at first division Verwood Town, with Torr Spicer, Gary Austin (2) and Nathan Paxton netting.

‘We have a home draw in the next round against either Hayling or Bridport so must aim to have a good run in the competition,’ said boss Dave Carter.

Petersfield Town exited the Cup with a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Hartley Wintney.

Joe Twiddy netted for the hosts.

Hayling United forced a 2-2 draw at Western League Bridport with the replay at Hayling College on Tuesday night.