Moneys await Vase ruling after replay washout

Moneys boss Dave Carter. Picture: Neil Marshall
Moneys boss Dave Carter. Picture: Neil Marshall
  • Fareham lose to Alton in Wessex League Cup
  • Rocks defeated by Hampton & Richmond Borough
Have your say

Moneyfields are in dispute with FA Vase opponents Brimscombe & Thrupp after last night’s replay in Gloucestershire was washed out.

The Western League outfit’s pitch passed an early inspection but a heavy downpour late in the day left it unplayable.

The postponement was a relief to the travelling Moneyfields squad, who were stuck in traffic.

‘The team bus left our ground at 4.10pm and at 5.30pm it still hadn’t reached Eastern Road,’ said manager Dave Carter.

‘They were caught up in the Portsmouth traffic gridlock following the tragic events on the motorway.

‘It was just as well the game was off because we would have had problems getting there.

‘Now we are waiting to find out when it will be played.

‘The FA and our league (Wessex League) say we can play the game on Saturday.

‘The Western League, however, are saying it should be played next Tuesday.

‘From our point of view the weekend would be better because the players wouldn’t have the problem of trying to get off work early again.

‘They are losing money and just before Christmas it is not ideal.’

The winner of the tie will host Western League premier division side Bristol Manor Farm in the next round.

Meanwhile, Fareham Town suffered Wessex League Cup disappointment with a 4-2 defeat on Alton Town’s new 3G pitch at Anstey Lane.

The game started in dramatic fashion with three goals in 11 minutes.

Alton were 2-0 up before Dan Jackson pulled one back.

The hosts added two more goals after the break, though, with Callum Laycock grabbing a late consolation.

Bognor slipped to a 2-1 Ryman League premier division defeat at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

The hosts took charge with two first-half goals before Craig Robson reduced the arrears in the 69th minute with a powerful header.

The Rocks had Jason Prior sent off in stoppage-time.

Elsewhere, Horndean’s Hampshire Senior Cup tie at Totton & Eling was postponed.