Moneys beat Newport to halt bad run

Moneyfields'  Louis Savage scored against Newport.  Picture: Sarah Standing (113934-7981)
Moneyfields' Louis Savage scored against Newport. Picture: Sarah Standing (113934-7981)
Jason Prior, centre. Picture: Chris Moorhouse

Bradbury’s pride as Hawks clinch big win

Have your say

MONEYFIELDS enjoyed their first win in 12 games, with a 5-0 Wessex League premier division success against Newport IoW.

The Copnor side had not enjoyed a victory since beating Bemerton in early September.

But they ended that run in style on Saturday.

Danny Horrell hit the crossbar with a header as Moneys began the game well, before Steve Hutchings scored from the penalty spot to make it 1-0 at half-time.

After the break, Hutchings raced clear for his second, Louis Savage converted Bailey’s cross and Jamie Hore grabbed a brace in the final 20 minutes.

It took couple of fine saves from Dave Hook to preserve Moneys’ first league shut out of the season.

Despite the result, Moneys boss Miles Rutherford felt it wasn’t a commanding display from his men.

He said: ‘We’ve played better this season and lost.

‘That wasn’t the best performance in recent weeks but we’ve come way with a 5-0 win so I’ve got to be happy.’

Fareham Town manager Matt Parr has pledged to continue his attacking approach after watching his side edge a nine-goal thriller 5-4 against Lymington Town at Cams Alders.

Rob Tambling popped up with a late winner, five minutes from time.

‘It was an excellent game of football from both sides,’ said Parr.

‘We do play an attacking brand of football at home so we do open ourselves up at times.

‘It is as much down to my tactics as it is our defending.

‘When we were 3-1 down, 10 minutes before half-time, I had a few doubts, though.

‘But the attacking style suits the players I have here.’

Fareham go to Gosport Borough tonight in the Russel-Cotes Cup (7.45pm) and Parr is likely to shuffle his pack, with the Reds playing again on Tuesday in the Wessex League Cup.

‘I will continue to use the young lads and use the squad players, and I expect Gosport will be doing the same,’ said Parr.

Nathan Kirby gave the hosts an early lead before they were rocked by a three-goal burst from the visitors.

Tambling reduced the arrears before the break and Tattersall struck twice at the start of the second half to put the Reds back in front.

The New Forest side thought they had secured a draw on 70 minutes when they levelled again but Tambling produced a cool finish late on.

Lethargic Horndean were beaten 3-0 by league leaders Bemerton Heath Harlequins at Five Heads Park.

‘We were a bit sluggish and didn’t play well enough,’ said Horndean boss Dave Carter.

‘Bemerton had four chances and scored from three of them and we had the same number of chances but didn’t score any.

‘Our passing wasn’t good and we have played a lot better.’

Bottom-of-the-league Hayling United scrambled to a 1-1 home draw against Fawley, with Jack Salter-Vaile scoring the vital goal.