Moneys boss praises Shortt after Rams bite back

Keeper Matt Shortt was in fine form for Petersfield Town. Picture: Neil Marshall
Keeper Matt Shortt was in fine form for Petersfield Town. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Moneyfields and Petersfield Town fought out 1-1 draw at Dover Road on Saturday.

Alfie Rutherford gave the hosts a deserved half-time lead but the visitors pegged them back through Ed Dryden on 70 minutes.

The result meant the Rams maintained their two-point advantage over the Copnor outfit at the top of the Wessex League premier division.

Both managers were disappointed not to come away with a win.

‘We dominated the first half and should have had the game won by half-time,’ said Moneys boss Miles Rutherford.

‘Their (Petersfield) goalkeeper did well and kept them in it with a couple of good saves.

‘In the second half it showed that some of my players have been short of game time and fitness told.

‘Petersfield had the better of the second period but the shot they scored with was the only one they had.

‘It was the best we have played for a few weeks and in the end both teams will be happy not to have been beaten.’

Town goalkeeper Matt Shortt kept his side in the game in the first half with two vital saves.

He produced a full-length stop to push a goalbound Ellis Martin free-kick around the post.

And then did equally well to keep out a Steve Hutchings header.

Jake Morgan also hit the crossbar before Alfie Rutherford burst clear on 30 minutes to break the deadlock.

In the second half, the Rams came more into the game.

And they were rewarded 20 minutes before the end.

Dryden worked his way into the Moneys box and fired a low shot into the net.

‘It was a real battle of attrition with not a lot of football played,’ said Town manager Ian Saunders.

‘We were not at our best in the opening 45 minutes but edged ourselves back into it after the break.

‘The equaliser was well deserved and a point wasn’t a bad days work for either team.’

The game between Horndean and Fareham Town was called off on Saturday morning because of a waterlogged pitch.