Moneys crash to home loss

Brett Poate

Defenders provide a big boost for Moneyfields

Have your say

Moneyfields were brought crashing down to earth after last week’s Vase heroics as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat at home to Totton & Eling.

The Copnor club were left with a mountain to climb after going two goals down before the break in their Wessex premier division clash.

But despite an improved performance in the second half, Moneys were undone by Totton’s break-away third.

And their miserable afternoon was summed up when Warren Hunt was sent off for a second yellow card.

Moneys made one enforced change from the side that beat Hallen so decisively last weekend, with Wes Chalmers replacing the suspended Jack Lee.

The visitors threatened early on, with Gharbian heading Carter’s free-kick just past the far post.

For his efforts, the midfielder received a nasty blow to his head but was able to continue. Indeed, the physios were the busiest people on the pitch as play was punctuated by a series of injuries.

The game was developing into a classic case of two form teams cancelling each other out as neither side managed to fashion a decent chance in the opening half hour.

Totton had a great chance to sneak in front on 32 minutes, though, when Hook fumbled Carter’s cross but the home side were able to bundle the ball out.

That escape merely delayed the opened, however. Moneys failed to clear the resulting corner and, when Carter crossed from the right, Feeney volleyed home.

The hosts finally produced their first effort of note on 38 minutes, although Harrop had no trouble dealing with Warren Hunt’s shot.

Three minutes before the break Totton, who have won every one of their away matches this season, increased their lead thanks to the Carter-Feeney combination.

This time Carter broke down the left and Feeney muscled his way in front of Chalmers to glance home his second.

There was a greater sense of urgency in Moneys’ play after the break.

Steve Hutchings curled a shot wide, Scott volleyed over and Hunt saw his cross-shot deflected into Harrop’s arms.

Just as the home fans felt their side might find a way back into the game, Moneys fell further behind to a sucker-punch goal from that man Feeney.

The Millers’ leading scorer, who is averaging a goal a game, held off the challenge of Russell Rackley as they chased a through ball to poke home for his hat-trick.

The afternoon went bad to worse for Miles Rutherford’s men when Danny Boyle received his marching orders for a second yellow card on the hour mark.

Moneys could have been down to nine men, too, but referee Hughes let Hutchings off with a stern warning after he clashed with Spear.

Wessex League premier division


TOTTON & ELING 3 (Feeney 3)