Moneys cruise to victory

Bobby Scott scored in Moneys' 5-1 win at Fawley
Bobby Scott scored in Moneys' 5-1 win at Fawley
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Moneyfields moved up to third in the Wessex League premier division thanks to a superb first-half showing at Fawley.

Miles Rutherford’s high-fliers scored all five of their goals in the 5-1 thumping of the Oilmen in the opening period to ensure their relegation-threatened hosts still have plenty to do between now and the end of the season.

The dominant took just 17 seconds to open their account against a shell-shocked home side who could only point the finger of blame at themselves for the breakthrough goal.

They failed to check the run of Adrian Brockway, who set up Rob Evans for a far-post header which flew into the roof of the net.

And from the restart, Rutherford’s Moneys struck again.

This time it was Dan Spackman’s vision which created an opening for Bobby Scott, who outjumped his marker to head home from close range.

On 20 minutes, and following a couple of neat moves, the Dover Road side broke quickly again and Steve Hutchings found himself clear to fire home goal number three.

Amazingly, against the run of play, Fawley sprung to life and Dan Muckridge pulled a goal back.

However, any thoughts they had of staging a comeback were quickly put to rest when Hutchings sent Stuart Green clear to tuck home a fourth.

And 60 seconds later Scott rammed home that point further when he jinked past a couple of lazy Fawley challenges to thump home a fifth before half-time.

When the second half got under way, the Oilmen were denied a second goal by Moneys keeper Cameron Scott, who did well to get a hand to Ian Moore’s effort.

Moneyfields soon regained their stranglehold, though, and sub Jake Raine unlocked the Fawley defence for Hutchings to turn and send a shot just wide of the post.

Even though the goals had dried up, Moneys still controlled much of the play.

However, Fawley knew it wasn’t to be their evening when Dave Rhodes’ speculative ball came back off the crossbar.

Hutchings and Warren Hunt continued to run terror through the heart of the home side’s defence, who seemed content to defend in number and keep the scoreline down to the bare minimum – which they did, with no further goals conceded in the second half.

Also in the premier division, Dave Carter’s Horndean suffered a 4-0 defeat on the road at Christchurch, who remain three points behind Moneyfields in fourth place.

Meanwhile, a double by Dan Thompson earned Bognor a place in the Sussex Senior Cup final last night.

The teenage striker scored both as the Rocks overcame fellow Ryman premier outfit Hastings 2-1 at snowy Lancing.