Moneys dig in... Royals out... Deans progress

Moneyfields striker Gary Austin
Moneyfields striker Gary Austin
Have your say

Nine-man Moneyfields opened up a three-point lead at the top of the Wessex League premier division courtesy of their 2-1 win at Blackfield & Langley.

In a fiery affair the visitors had goalscorers Steve Hutchings and Gary Austin sent off in the second half.

Manager Dave Carter praised the resilience of his side in the closing stages as they battled on to get the victory.

It was a tough task with 35 minutes to hold on.

But Moneys showed great character as they finished the job.

Carter said: ‘We dug in and held them out for 35 minutes with nine men.

‘Blackfield threw everything at us but we put up two banks of four and put our bodies on the line.

‘It was a fantastic way to win a football match.’

The visitors led 2-1 at the break with goals from Hutchings and Austin.

Hutchings scored with an overhead kick after 15 minutes.

And Austin added a second five minutes later.

After the interval Hutchings picked up a second yellow card.

He was quickly followed by Austin who received a straight red.

There was also red-card trouble for AFC Portchester.

They crashed out of the FA Vase with a 2-0 defeat at Lydney Town.

The Royals had Joe Noakes sent off along with one of the home players late on in the game.

‘It was disappointing to lose because we had more than enough chances to win it,’ said Royals manager Graham Rix.

Fareham Town endured a contentious 5-1 Vase exit at Wessex League division one side Shaftesbury.

The Reds were trailing 2-1 in the second half when the referee forced them to replace Zach Zsemis because of a jewellery issue.

Zsemis had a stud in his ear which could not be removed.

Reds manager Steve Stone found the decision difficult to understand.

He said: ‘It is a strange one because he has been playing with the stud in for three years without any problem.

‘I have never seen anything like it.

‘But that wasn’t the reason we lost the game.

‘We lost the game because we were just poor.’

Callum Laycock scored the goal for Fareham.

Horndean moved into the next round with a 2-0 win over Old Abbotonians at Five Heads Park.

A Josh Maloney penalty and a Robbie Tambling strike proved enough to see off the Western League visitors.