Moneys fight back to book final spot

Danny Horrell's double helped Moneyfields to a 4-2 extra-time win over Fareham
Danny Horrell's double helped Moneyfields to a 4-2 extra-time win over Fareham
Ryan Pennery scored twice

Pennery earns Moneys a point at Aylesbury

Have your say

Moneyfields fought back from two goals down to beat Fareham 4-2 and move into the Portsmouth Senior Cup final.

The visitors looked buried at Cams Alders as Matt Jones and Nathan Kirby put the Reds ahead.

But a goal before half-time from Danny Horrell gave the visitors hope.

And after Dean Blake took the match into extra-time, further goals from Horrell and Warren Hunt booked a final spot against Horndean.

Both sides took time to settle, with sloppy passing the key to moves breaking down in the final third of the pitch.

Even when the Reds put together a neat move, Moneys keeper Dave Hook was left to retrieve the ball from behind his goal as Wayne Boud’s cross-shot flew yards over the bar.

Boud’s next contribution was far more positive, his fine inswinging corner leaving Graeme Lindsey to pump in a header that bounced back off the post.

On 20 minutes, another corner, this time taken by Danny Thompson, caused panic in the Moneys defence and, although the ball was partially cleared, Jones was on hand to thump home and open the scoring.

And before the visitors recovered their composure, Fareham doubled their advantage when Thompson’s long-range free-kick flashed into the penalty area for Kirby to guide the ball home with a deft flick.

Only then did Moneyfields awake from their slumber to pull a goal back on 25 minutes, the unchallenged Horrell meeting a Blake corner to head in at the far post.

Dan Gauntlett picked up a yellow card for a hefty challenge which left Boud needing time to recover.

Former Fareham striker Hunt’s appeals for a penalty fell on deaf ears when he was tripped heading for goal but the referee deemed that the challenge was outside the area.

Luke Douglas was beaten on the hour, though, after his defensive wall failed to do their job, allowing Blake’s free-kick from just outside the area to find a gap and hit the back of the net.

Now it was game on as the contest was forced into extra-time.

Suddenly, it was Moneyfields who looked favourites to meet Horndean in the final.

And they shook Fareham by going ahead as Horrell charged in to meet a Shaun Kerridge long-range free-kick to beat Douglas from close range.

Deep into the second period of extra-time, Moneyfields made sure of their place in the final as Bikram Singh sent Hunt clear to blast his side’s fourth.

Fareham: Douglas, Buckland, Cuthbert, Jones, Wood, Kirby, Boud, Spurway, Lindsey, Thompson, Hayes. Subs: Cotton, Dark, Warren, Hyde, Redman.

Moneyfields: Hook, Evans, Bailey, Rackley, Kerridge, Hoare, Blake, Gauntlett, Singh, Hunt, Horrell. Subs: Page, Needham, Kendell, Gregory.