Moneys miss out on top-three finish

Bobby Scott had one of Moneyfields' few chances in a dour match with Blackfield & Langley
Bobby Scott had one of Moneyfields' few chances in a dour match with Blackfield & Langley
Ryan Pennery scored twice

Pennery earns Moneys a point at Aylesbury

Have your say

Moneyfields were denied a top-three finish in the Wessex League premier division after a 1-0 loss to leaders Blackfield & Langley.

A first-half strike from Blackfield’s David Ewen was enough edge past Moneys and keep the visitors’ title challenge on course in a dour encounter at Dover Road.

For a match that could have seen the Watersiders clinch the title if Alresford lost at Bournemouth, the atmosphere was decidedly low-key.

There was little in the way of goalmouth action as both forward lines struggled to master a bone-dry pitch and two well-organised defences.

The only effort of note in the first period was Ewen’s goal on the half hour. For once, Ekow Elliott found room down the right and when his header eluded Jack Lee, it fell perfectly for Ewen to steer a header inside the far post.

There was little improvement in the excitement levels after the break.

Moneys huffed and puffed without creating a single chance, whilst Blackfield fared little better as play became bogged down in midfield.

On the hour, Warren Hunt was lucky not to see two yellow cards in the space of 60 seconds.

Having been booked for dissent, he clattered into Scott Sampson, but the referee chose to give a stern lecture instead of sending the striker off.

As Moneys pushed forward in search of an equaliser, the visitors began to exploit the spaces behind the home defence.

Ewen missed a great chance to add a second when he scuffed his shot wide and midfielder should have done better from TJ Cutbertson’s cross but his diving header ended up on the railway line.

Elliott then saw his pass elude everyone as it flash across goal and the striker fired over with only Dave Hook to beat.

At the other end, Bobby Scott wasted a good chance to equalise from a free-kick on the edge of the area. Having missed the original kick, he was given the opportunity to make amends when the referee ordered it to be retaken. However, instead of floating the ball into the crowded penalty, his shot was easily saved by Steve Mowthorpe.

Two minutes into injury-time, the home side were reduced to 10 men when Hunt received a second yellow card having spoken out of turn once too often after Lee clashed with Sampson.

Moneys launched one last attack but the visitors held on for what could be a crucial win as Alresford kept the title race alive for another game with a 5-0 victory at Bournemouth.

Horndean closed their season with a 4-2 derby victory at Hayling.

Lenny Burney bagged the Deans’ opener, before Dan Martin and Matt Andrews extended their lead.

Hayling pulled a goal back but the visitors completed a frantic first half when Tommy Woodward headed home.

The Humbugs were on target again after the break but it was not enough to deny Horndean the win.

AFC Portchester also rounded off their campaign with a 1-0 loss at Newport Isle of Wight.