Moneys’ season ‘back up and running’

Dan Gauntlett netted Moneyfields' winner over Alresford
Dan Gauntlett netted Moneyfields' winner over Alresford
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Moneyfields boss Miles Rutherford believes his side’s season is back up and running after last night’s 1-0 victory over Alresford.

In a scrappy affair, Dan Gauntlett bagged the winner to hand Moneys all three points in the Wessex League premier division clash at Dover Road.

And although Rutherford was not impressed with his team’s display, he welcomed a morale-boosting triumph.

He said: ‘It was a poor performance on a very, very poor playing surface.

‘But I can’t complain as we got the result to get our season back on track.’

From the start, Alresford put together a quality move which opened up the Moneyfields rearguard, leaving former Fareham man Dean Cole to ease through and blast a shot inches over the bar.

Moments later, the visitors wasted another chance when Tom Donaldson met a cross which he powered wide when it was easier to find the net.

Anything Moneys tried broke down in the final third of the pitch due mainly to the boggy playing surface.

They finally managed to muster a chance, though, when striker Warren Hunt ploughed a way through to set up Dean Blake who forced a fine save from Alresford keeper Chris Walker.

On 25 minutes, Walker repeated the act by keeping out Hunt’s clever flick which was heading for the top corner.

With the interval in sight, though, Hunt had the final say when he created an opening for Dan Gauntlett to power home a shot from the edge of the area which crashed into the back of the net.

Moneyfields wasted a glorious chance to double their advantage moments after the break when Danny Horrell skied over from six yards out after good work from Blake and Hunt.

Horrell joined in yet another Moneyfields attack to inch a shot just wide of the post, as did Blake, although he earned himself a yellow card for bringing the ball down with his hand.

Suddenly, Moneyfields’ slender lead came under threat and it took a quality save from keeper Dave Hook to keep out Scot Walters’ missile of a shot which was heading for the roof of the net.

With 10 minutes remaining, and with Alresford looking devoid of ideas on how to break down a solid Moneys defence, play broke to the other end, where skipper Sean Kerridge created an opening for Hunt to bend a shot just wide.