No travel sickness as Borough extend winning run

Gosport Borough's George Barker Pic Ally Mac Photography
Gosport Borough's George Barker Pic Ally Mac Photography
Have your say

Gosport Borough made it three National League South wins in succession with a 3-1 success at St Albans City.

Goals from George Barker, Tom Dunford and Ryan Woodford sealed the three points as Borough overcame a sluggish start to the game brought about by a late arrival in Hertfordshire.

Once they had got going, Gosport imposed themselves on their hosts and eventually eased to victory despite a late goal from the home side.

Pike was forced into one change from the team that beat Oxford City on Saturday, with keeper Nathan Ashmore suffering from a thigh injury.

Taking his place was Jordan Sebright, who signed for the Privett Park club in time to feature at Clarence Park.

Pike hoped his team’s late arrival because of horrendous traffic on the M25 would not have an adverse effect on their performance.

The team coach did not arrive until 7pm, giving them minimal time to prepare.

The visitors’ travel sickness was music to the ears of St Albans boss James Gray, who watched his team dominate the first 20 minutes.

The on-loan Graeme Montgomery was a thorn in the visitors’ side, having a goal ruled out for offside and then being influential in several further opportunities.

Sebright’s debut was far from quiet with the newly-arrived stopper making a string of decent saves.

Gosport, having weathered the storm, then began to get a foothold and settled down.

Andy Robinson played a key role in the opening goal.

It was his superb pass which put Barker clear and the former Swindon player raced into the area and slotted calmly past Joe Welch.

The second half was the polar opposite of the first. The opening 15 minutes were almost completely devoid of any chances for either side.

But if the spectators were dozing off, Gosport soon woke them up with a second goal.

Dunford shot from just outside the area and it took a wicked deflection to deceive Welch and go in off the underside of the bar.

Borough then effectively ended the game as a contest with 10 minutes remaining when Barker’s corner from the left was powerfully headed home by Woodford.

But the Saints did not take it lying down and put the visitors under pressure with Sebright making another fine save before James Comley hit the woodwork.

The pressure eventually told as St Albans substitute Ghassimu Sow scored a late consolation but Borough held on to seal their third straight win.