Palmer keeps Hawks on the rise

Ollie Palmer put the Hawks ahead against Truro City    Picture: Dave Haines
Ollie Palmer put the Hawks ahead against Truro City Picture: Dave Haines
Hawks boss Lee Bradbury. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Hawks boss shrugs off setback in Cornwall

Have your say

An Ollie Palmer goal was enough for the Hawks to keep alive their late play-off push in a 1-0 win over rock-bottom Truro City.

Lee Bradbury’s men took their unbeaten run to nine matches when striker Palmer netted early in the second half at Westleigh Park.

Bradbury named an unchanged Hawks starting line-up for the third consecutive game.

Newcomers Juan Cruz Gotta and Pedro Montero were among the substitutes.

Jake Newton and Steve Ramsey combined well on the edge of the visitors’ penalty area, almost engineering an opening for Palmer after five minutes.

The Hawks were unlucky six minutes later when Ramsey sent a fierce 20-yard drive crashing against the crossbar.

There was little shape to the opening 15 minutes, although the hosts generally looked in control against the basement club.

The Hawks were given a warning, though, when Jordan Copp flashed a shot past the far post with Clark Masters scurrying across his goalline.

Christian Nanetti fired over the top after latching on to a loose ball outside the area but Truro continued to frustrate the Hawks.

Ramsey went close again when a free-kick was squared to him 20 yards out but his shot drifted past the upright.

Young full-back Alex Grant was booked when he angrily wrestled experienced striker Barry Hayles to the ground.

Nanetti joined him a minute later after a tackle from behind on Les Afful.

Ramsey fired straight at Luke Payne in the visitors’ goal when Kabba pulled the ball back from the byline on the stroke of half-time.

The Hawks needed just a minute of the second period to make the all-important breakthrough.

When Payne punched away Nanetti’s free-kick from the right, Ramsey hooked the ball back into the area. The keeper managed to flap the ball away again but Palmer was on hand to lift the rebound into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

On 53 minutes, Hawks captain Ed Harris went off to be replaced by Monteiro for his debut .

Payne produced a fine one-handed save to keep out Ramsey’s header following a terrific burst down the left by Arthur.

Palmer should have increased the Hawks’ lead when he went clear, only to fire against the keeper’s legs.

It almost proved costly but Masters pulled off a brave double save to keep Truro at bay two minutes later.

The Hawks comfortably contained the visitors in the final 15 minutes to stretch their unbeaten run to nine games.

Blue Square Bet South

HAWKS 1 (Palmer)


Hawks: Masters, Newton, Grant, Ryan, Harris, Strugnell, Nanetti, Ramsey, Palmer, Kabba, Arthur. Subs: Hutchinson, Jones, Bossman, Gotta, Monteiro.

Truro: Payne, Cooke, Williams, Gerring, Kendall, Ash, Copp, Martin, Hayles, Watkins, Afful. Subs: Hodges, Broad, Wright, Yetton.

Referee: Tim Wood ( Gloucester).