Palmer shows why Football League clubs are chasing him

Hawks-Ollie Palmer in action ''' Hawks vs Farnborough 29th Oct 2011 ' Dave Haines (Photo credit should read Picture/s by Dave Haines)
Hawks-Ollie Palmer in action ''' Hawks vs Farnborough 29th Oct 2011 ' Dave Haines (Photo credit should read Picture/s by Dave Haines)
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

HIGHLY-COVETED striker Ollie Palmer struck what could be his final goal for the Hawks to earn a 1-1 draw at Staines in the Blue Square Bet South.

But Shaun Gale’s outfit were justifiably left aggrieved after two disputable refereeing decisions cost them a victory.

Firstly referee Barry Holderness handed Staines a soft penalty.

And then former Pompey man Vincent Pericard saw his late header, from a Sammy Igoe free-kick, controversially ruled out.

Palmer had earlier pressed his claims for a move back into the Football League, with the goal that cancelled out Staines’ 58th-minute opener.

Wycombe are reportedly leading the chase for his signature, with Bournemouth and Charlton also interested.

The outcome at Wheatsheaf Park, though, was a fair result on the balance of play.

But Hawks boss Shaun Gale bemoaned the two decisions which cost his side victory.

He said: ‘The penalty was a soft one and a strange decision,’ said Gale.

‘There would be 10 penalties a game if they kept giving them.

‘I felt we scored at the end from our free-kick but the referee has made us retake it and I don’t for the life of me know why.

‘It is disappointing but it is a good point away from home.

‘I thought the lads were fantastic.

‘Staines are scrapping for everything at the bottom but we worked really hard and matched them.

‘We battled and in the second half I thought we stepped it up and some of the football we played cut them open.

‘Credit to the lads, they kept going and didn’t let their heads drop when we went a goal down.

‘That is something, hopefully, we have learned.

‘We bounced back with a quality goal and thought we had enough to go on and win the game.’

After a goalless first half, the first controversial moment began when Howard Newton went down inside the area, with minimal contact from Jon McDonald.

Staines striker Ali Chaaban sent excellent Hawks keeper Lyall Beazley the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Six minutes later, Palmer capitalised on a slip in the home defence to drill his low shot across the keeper into the far corner and level the scores.

Inside the last five minutes, a Staines foul gave the Hawks a free-kick in a good position on the right-corner of the area.

Igoe quickly delivered a pin-point cross for Pericard, who expertly glanced his header just inside the far post.

But to their dismay the Hawks were ordered to retake the kick and were left cursing the decision.

Hawks: Beazley 8; Hinshelwood 7, McDonald 7, Ryan 7, Holland 8, Pearce 8, Igoe 7, Peacock 7, Pericard 7, Ramsey 7, Palmer 7 (Geteski 81mins).