Parr: Roll on the weekend

Fareham boss Matt Parr
Fareham boss Matt Parr
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Matt Parr watched his Fareham side defeat Hamble ASSC 2-1 last night and declared: Roll on the weekend.

Goals from Graham Lindsey and Wayne Boud built the Reds an unassailable lead in the Wessex League premier division clash at Cams Alders.

The visitors pulled a goal back late on through Richard Gregory but the points went to Fareham.

Parr said: ‘We weren’t at our best but we were strong enough to score two well-taken goals to win the match.

‘It sets us up nicely – confidence-wise – for another home game against Alton on Saturday.’

Fareham were welcoming Hamble to Cams Alders for the second time this season.

Floodlight failure caused their December clash to be abandoned at half-time with the score level at 1-1.

But the Reds weren’t interested in sharing the spoils last night.

Gary Austin was the only missing man in an otherwise full-strength line-up.

The striker, who is rumoured to be a target of Horndean, was working in America.

Though the visitors opened the stronger, they were denied an opening goal when former Fareham striker Jamie Musselwhite saw his early strike ruled out for offside.

The response by Parr’s men was immediate and a quality move between Danny Thompson and Boud created a simple tap-in for goal-machine Lindsey.

The goal lifted the Reds, who pressed forward looking to double their advantage.

And only woeful finishing from Lee Wood, Bryn McKie and Nathan Kirby prevented them taking a bigger lead into the break.

Former Gosport Borough striker Ashley Jarvis went close to an equaliser at the beginning of the second half before Fareham got their act together and Boud set off on a run that took him clear to fire home a second.

Lindsey was a coat of paint away from doubling his tally when he rattled the woodwork.

And on 80 minutes, Hamble pulled a goal back through Gregory.

There was still time for the visitors’ boss Danny Bowers to be ordered out of the dugout for remarks not to the liking of the referee – a repeat of his verbal attack on the official in the earlier abandoned fixture.

But there was not enough time left for Hamble to forge an equaliser and the Reds triumphed.