Paul disappointed as Humbugs come unstuck

Steve Black came closest for the Humbugs in the first half. Picture: Steve Reid (110329-990)
Steve Black came closest for the Humbugs in the first half. Picture: Steve Reid (110329-990)
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Hayling were dumped out of the FA Cup by Bridport last night.

The Humbugs, who were held to a 2-2 draw by the Western League club in Dorset on Saturday, dominated much of the replay at the College Ground.

But they lacked a cutting edge as a Dan Wise penalty and Chris Senior effort saw Bridport to a 2-0 victory – and earned them a clash with Horndean in the next round.

‘The second goal really finished us, as up to that point we really looked as though we could get something from the match,’ said Hayling boss Lee Paul.

‘But that’s the way of things. The lads didn’t give me what they had in the first half and that is very disappointing and something I need to look at.’

Hayling were fired up for the replay, knowing victory would earn them £750 prize money and a derby clash with the Deans at Five Heads Park.

They pushed forward from the start, looking for an early goal. The nearest they came, though, was a long-range effort from Steve Black that drifted wide.

Bridport’s uncertain start brought former Pompey striker Trevor Senior out of the dugout demanding more from his side.

And the visitors duly responded with a fine move only snuffed out by Hayling defender Darren Watts.

On 25 minutes, Black set off on a run that took him clear of the Bees defence only for keeper Sam Filkins to charge out and block his path to goal with a brave dive.

As play broke to the other end poor finishing by striker Sam Charles spared Hayling.

But fortune shone on Charles moments later when the referee adjudged he was tripped in the box.

And up stepped Wise to slam Bridport ahead from the spot.

For the remaining 15 minutes of the half, Hayling bossed every area of play and both Lenny Burney and Black went close to an equaliser.

They continued to press after the break with Jason Clements going close.

But then, on the hour, Bridport doubled their advantage as manager’s son Senior got on the end of a free-kick to beat keeper Beau Savage from close range.

Hayling continued to battle but the Bees held on with ease to book another trip to Hampshire.

HAYLING: Savage, Luff, Watts, Thornton, Smallbones, Baker, Black, Clements, Case, Burney, Martin. Subs: Salter-Vaile, Blackburn-Smith, Fisher, Patilla, Turner.

BRIDPORT: Filkins, J Charles, Condliffe, Evans, Senior, Hayter, Richardson, Wise, S Charles, Watts, Legg. Subs: Symes, Gale, Cleal.

n In the Wessex League premier division, Fareham won 2-1 at Blackfield & Langley and Moneyfields beat Romsey 6-5 in a high-scoring thriller at Dover Road.