Petersfield crushed but Bognor and Royals triumph

Petersfield keeper Anthony Ender. Picture: Neil Marshall
Petersfield keeper Anthony Ender. Picture: Neil Marshall
Hawks have had lots to celebrate

Hawks see the hard work recognised

Have your say

Petersfield tumbled to a 4-0 defeat at Aylesbury in Southern League division one central last night.

The Rams had the first chance on 10 minutes when Joe Richardson found himself in space in the box.

But he could only hit his low shot straight at Aylesbury keeper James Weatherill.

The hosts then took the lead on 21 minutes, following a mistake by the Petersfield defence.

A cross from the left was headed back towards Anthony Ender by Ben Buckland.

But it dropped behind the Rams keeper and Lynton Goss won the race for the loose ball, sliding in to put it over the line.

Goss then doubled Aylesbury’s lead.

A good passing move saw him presented with the ball just inside the box and although Ender got a hand to his shot, the ball dribbled over the line.

The home side then threatened to put the game to bed but after Ender had blocked one shot with his legs, Brian Haule’s effort was easily dealt with by the Rams keeper.

Petersfield attempted to get back into the game early in the second half.

They should have reduced the deficit when Oliver Bailey’s cross found Howard Neighbour at the far post.

But as he attempted to hook the ball in, he could only find the sidenetting.

The hosts then notched two more goals in the closing miunutes.

Gareth Price got clear of the defence and fired across Ender to make it 3-0.

And then with a few minutes remaining, a similar move saw Goss complete his hat-trick.

Elsewhere, Alfie Rutherford scored twice and Jason Prior got the other as Bognor won 3-1 at Tonbridge in the Ryman League premier division.

In the Wessex League premier division, AFC Portchester thrashed Lymington 5-0.

Geoff Dunn struck twice, while Jason Parish, Steve Ramsey and Ash Howes got the other goals.

Robbie Tambling’s goal was in vain as Horndean lost 5-1 at Basingstoke in the Hampshire Cup quarter-finals.