Petersfield lose top spot

Petersfield goalkeeper Matt Shortt
Petersfield goalkeeper Matt Shortt
Joseph Briggs scored a double for Moneyfields in their draw against Hanworth Town. Picture: Keith Woodland.

Nine-men Moneyfields fight back to draw

Have your say

Petersfield manager Ian Saunders believes they should not have come away empty handed following a 3-2 defeat at Whitchurch United last night.

The result means 
Whitchurch replace the Rams at the top of the Wessex League premier division on goal difference.

All five goals came in a frenetic opening period that saw four goals in the space of 20 minutes.

Saunders said: ‘I thought the final scoreline was harsh.

‘In the second period my goalkeeper only had to make one save while their keeper made four or five saves.

‘The problem for us was the early goals we conceded.

‘I thought we outplayed them in the second half and deserved to get something from the game.’

The game got off to a crazy start with both sides scoring in the first two minutes.

Whitchurch took the lead after just 30 seconds when Petersfield goalkeeper Matt Shortt miskicked a clearance and it fell straight to Jamie Mansell.

However, the Rams went straight up the other end and equalised from the penalty spot thanks to Warren Hunt.

But the goals kept coming for the home side and on 17 minutes, a corner dropped to Jack McCarthy and he bundled the ball home from close range to make it 2-1.

Just three minutes later, Whitchurch established a two-goal cushion when another attempted clearance by Shortt resulted in a goal for Ryan Lambert.

Petersfield pulled it back to 3-2 when Alex Lowley’s shot took a big deflection off a defender and flew past the keeper after 34 minutes.

Both sides had chances to add to their goal tally before the interval. McCarthy lifted a shot over the bar and then goalkeeper Brad Snelling somehow managed to keep out Ash House’s shot.

The second half was dominated by Petersfield but they couldn’t find the third equaliser.

Substitute Jason Silver almost scored with his first touch while Warren Hunt also had two shots blocked.