Petersfield progress to final... Moneys slump to shock loss

Robbie Tambling   Picture: Innes Marlow
Robbie Tambling Picture: Innes Marlow
Have your say

Petersfield Town booked their place in the Wessex League Cup final for the second year running after coming from behind to beat Bemerton Heath Harlequins 4-2 at Love Lane.

After a goalless first half, Bemerton took the lead two minutes after the restart when a free-kick from the right found skipper Graham Mankin, who headed home off the underside of the crossbar.

However, Petersfield drew level two minutes later when a ball down the middle of the pitch found Robbie Tambling, who raced clear before smashing a low shot past keeper Max Frampton.

The Rams took the lead for the first time in the match on 72 minutes when Ash Howes flicked the ball past three challenges and then hit a dipping shot from 25 yards into the top corner of the net.

And it was 3-1 three minutes later when Tambling got on the end of a long ball into the penalty area and expertly smashed home from 12 yards.

Visitors Bemerton set up a tense finale, though, when they were awarded a penalty with 12 minutes remaining.

Rams keeper Matt Shortt kept out two close-range shots from Seb Dawes but the referee judged there had been a foul in the build-up.

And Mankin duly sent Shortt the wrong way with his low penalty kick.

However, the home side booked their place in the final with two minutes remaining, when Howes found the run of substitute Jake Slater, who smashed a low shot past Frampton from the corner of the penalty area.

The Rams, who were beaten 7-2 by Alresford Town in last year’s final, will play either AFC Portchester or Blackfield & Langley in May’s Wicor Rec showpiece event.

Elsewhere, second-placed Moneyfields slumped to a shock 2-0 Wessex League premier division defeat at bottom of the league Totton & Eling.

Manager Miles Rutherford was disgusted with the manner of the defeat.

‘As a team we just threw the towel in and were not interested,’ said Rutherford.

‘It was our worst perfomance by a long way this season and there are no excuses.

‘As much as we tried to get the players up for the game it just didn’t happen.

‘We came up against a team fighting for their lives and we didn’t want to know.

‘Personally, I can’t wait for the season to finish.’

The relegation-battling hosts took the lead midway through the first half and sealed their win with a second goal on the hour mark.